.
Firework are said to owe their existence to a Chinese monk named Li Tian, who lived near the city of Liuyang in Hunan province, about 1,000 years ago. He is said to have come up with the idea of inserting gunpowder into the hollow of a bamboo stick: when thrown into a fire, the gases produced by the ignited powder caused an immense build-up of pressure and blasted the tube apart.
The Chinese believed that the bang was powerful enough to scare off evil spirits, and incorporated firecrackers into many of their religious events.
For many people, the noise is as much a part of Bonfire Night as the visuals. There are a number of fireworks that are made specifically to create noise. “Hummers” are tiny tubes, sent spinning into the air with such force that they shred their outer coating, whizzing and buzzing as they go. Or the “whistle”, which creates a high-pitched scream as the powder burns down a long tube.
I guess you were expecting a classical piece of music by Handel.
Sorry to disappoint you. I don't have a copy.
.
.
For many others this whole week’s misguided, medieval, attempt to “scare off evil spirits” is a period of unkind and unnecessary suffering.
Not only for the frail and nervous, the babies and elderly trying to sleep, but also for those amongst us that have no voice to object.
I speak on their behalf.
.
"BANG".
.
PS I took that photo about five weeks ago. I had just treated myself to a new duvet and as I struggled to get it into the cover, Hazel joined in the fun. She was not hiding from fireworks as I wouldn't have used flash had she been frightened.
.

I love that photo and the way Hazel's eyes are glowing :-)
ReplyDeleteShe wasn't scared, we were just playing but when I saw the result, I thought I'd use it on Nov 5th.
ReplyDeleteFor many others this whole week’s misguided, medieval, attempt to “scare off evil spirits” is a period of unkind and unnecessary suffering.
ReplyDeleteAs you know, I agree with you wholeheartedly on this subject. It was a bit mean of you not to include a piece by Handel though.
Hazel's eyes were sure shining from inside the covers.
That'll be us later! Myself and the dogs of course...I hired a film today, in order to drown out the pops, bangs and weees...
ReplyDeleteYes Val, I read your bit earlier this week. Do you know I haven't found anyone who actually like all this nonsense. I wouldn't mind betting it's because so many people today have dogs and cats. Nearly every house in my road has a pet of some sort.
ReplyDeleteDo you join them under the duvet Kath? I agree with drowning out the pops and bangs.....but I better not comment on the weees!!!
If they leave me a little room I do!
ReplyDeleteHow did we (in the US) miss out on another occasion to buy fireworks? Lots of civic groups use the 4th of July (sorry, didn't mean to rub it in) to make money selling fireworks. It must be because Bonfire Night is a pagan celebration, and we mostly take religious celebrations like Christmas and Easter and paganize them ourselves.
ReplyDeleteAt any rate, the Animal Control people have a busy time whenever there are fireworks, lots of animals get upset. Hope it's not tooo bad in your house.
Lovely new duvet cover!Very Spring like.Hazel seems to be having lots of fun.
ReplyDeleteFireworks? there are plenty of others ways to scare off evil spirits!
Hi Jan,
ReplyDeleteI don't think it goes back as far as being a pagan celebration does it?
The Guy Fawkes plot was in 1605 which is what our Bonfire Night is based on, although as you say pagans had lots of bonfire before that.
I suppose as you live on the country, all your animals are spared this upset. Mine are coping well as there have been fewer parties close by.
Hi Liz.....it was the other way round actually. A new duvet in an old cover. The old duvet was used to make the shelter.
I love the cat photo!
ReplyDeleteHaven't fireworks changed? They all just seem to be rockets nowadays. What happened to jumping jacks and catherine wheels? Too dangerous I suppose. 'Elf and saftey, as you put it. I suppose in this case they've got a point.
Foody I'm still chasing you up and down here.....Please don't go away for two weeks again!!
ReplyDeleteGlad you liked my Hazel. She is the brightest cat I have ever owned. 17 now and the best company I could wish for. I used to like 'Jumping Jacks', I don't think they were dangerous?