Thursday, 31 December 2009

"Time and Tide Wait for no Man"

.
I have always been interested in astronomy and as a lad longed for a telescope to peer skyward. Alas they were all very expensive.
I have also always had a fascination for sundials, clocks and weird mechanical mechanisms. As you may expect I have quite a few books on the above subjects.
At this time of the year, when it seems the whole world goes mad to celebrate an instant in time, the big mistake they make, is that they all do it at a different time.
As I write this, they are probably letting off fireworks in Australia and it will be another 20 hours or so before the celebrations start in California.
So you see it is very difficult to celebrate a man made ’time event’ at the same time.
.
.
Who decides when the New Year starts?
As there are 365 ¼ days in a year, it starts at a different time EVERY year.
Who decided on twelve months in a year…..and why not thirteen?
What on earth is a week…..seven days! Why seven?
I could go on, but….you see these are all man-made periods (person-made sounds awful).
The calendar is essential but why celebrate the turning of any particular page or the hanging up of a new calendar on the kitchen wall?
Call me Pagan if you like but I see more logic in celebrating the celestial recurring events like the Winter and Summer Solstices and the Spring and Autumn Equinox.
They are unchanging, immovable events and always ’On Time’.
.
.
So shall I celebrate my 365 ¼ days of blogging?
No I don’t think so, but what I will do is thank everyone, and I miss no-one out, for dropping in, reading and commenting on some of the most ridiculous rubbish and corny jokes ever to float out of Bourne End.
I have enjoyed it……sometimes I’ve been at a loss for a good story but it has all been a bit of fun.
I have managed to keep up a daily post, but have often wondered if this is wise. Maybe the quality falls off, maybe I repeat myself (a bit like the telly these days!), perhaps I should only write when I have something important.
I was going to reflect on this over the Christmas break, but guess what? I missed you all too much.
So off we go into the man-made year 2010, although I got there on December 22nd, and I want to wish you all that you would wish upon yourselves.
I have no favourites and no awards to make…..with one exception.
That goes to Foody or Singing Chicken as she has shattered the glass on my “Commentometer”. I haven’t counted them all but it must be well over 250 encouraging comments.
But as I said….Thank you all.
See you next year.
Kippers, KD, Dickie and Uncle Bernard. xx
.
.
From the Organ Grinder and friends!


Think I'll just wander out and look at the stars.
.
.
"Happy New Year"


11 comments:

  1. I always acknowledge the Winter and Summer Solstices (no, I am not a druid) and as you say, they are always unchanging.

    Bourne End is a lovely place to live and I remember it fondly, especially the need to park my car at their private car park named A to then use the family (who I was visiting)petrol driven boat to get to their home on the opposite side down river at B.

    But back to dates and why there are so many weeks or months in a year and all that. I am so ahead of myself right now that I want to take this opportunity to wish you a very happy Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Uncle Bernard,Please don't "only write when I have something important". I look forward to your daily ramblings and the humerous and often lively chat that follows each posting. From your loving Niece

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Kath about the writing, but apart from that I wish to say how much I enjoyed this post. There is no-one more confused than me over the differences in time. Perhaps I should buy a world clock! I mean, how can we successfully greet each other when distance prevails that we exist on different days, let alone hours.
    Happy whatever we want to celebrate, Bernard, as we seem to be on the same plane, so to speak.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well I wish you a Happy Whatever :-) I have really enjoyed your blog over the few months I have been visiting :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Francien left you a message on my Blog, Uncle B. Like me, she would like to see your fire screen. And before the rest of you start wracking your brains, it's not a secret metaphor! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I celebrated the winter solstice by driving to my favorite flower nursery and checking out what I'll buy as I coax my garden back to life. My body recognizes and appreciates the MINUTE days start getting longer, even though here in California there's not much difference in the seasons. Don't stop writing every day, you set the standard for the rest of us. Hmm. If it's 12:00 noon here, does that mean you're nearing midnight? If so, hope you and the cats are celebrating, Uncle B.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi! Dropped in on your splendid blog via your comments on "SOmething For the Weekend, SIr?'

    Very happy New Year from one retired engineer(ing lecturer) to another! May 2010 see you blogging heartily.

    You mention an interest in astronomy. Did you know that the night of 31st.December 2009 - 1st.Jan 2010 gave us a "blue" moon! Heard it on the BBC World Service. Thought it was a leg-pull. Checked it out on Google and Wikipedia. Not sure I've got my head round this aspect of our lunar cycles . . . but the derivation of the expression "blue moon" is interesting . . .

    You'll surely have a copy of "Blue Moon, you saw me standing alone . . " etc.

    Doc FTSE

    ReplyDelete
  8. P.S Search for "Blue FULL moon"! "Blue Moon" will lead you to the song, and the usual 20 million irrelevant hits!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good Morning all.
    At last a bit of sunshine...I was beginning to get this "lack of sunlight syndrome" or whatever.
    Thanks for all these comments and support. As there is not a lot of room in the comment box, I shall use the blog...see 1st of January.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Never! I can't believe I am the biggest commenter. That makes me sound a bit desperate. I don't even like blogging that much! But you have been my most frequent commenter. And thanks for the plug.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have Foody. You and I were the only two reading/writing our blogs in the early days. Look back down your dashboard...there were loads going back to February.

    ReplyDelete