.
Here's a nice little song to start the new year.
It was written before the war in 1939, about an elderly couple singing "We've come a long way together and we still have a long way to go".
"Yes, another year has gone and here we are,
Still hitching up our wagon to a star."
However in this case I am referring to our blogging group of friends.
But back to yesterdays comments.
DD has not only heard of Bourne End, but has been here on the river. We now have a footbridge but as she said years ago the people living on the opposite bank all had boats and I can remember them coming back from Tesco and having to heave all their shopping down into the boat on this side, and then heave it all out on the other.
I'm glad you're ahead DD as I have just read that Tesco (yes, them again) have today been stocking their shelves with Easter Eggs......especially for you!
Kath, another of my newly found nieces, pleads for me to continue with these daily rambles.
Well if you insist, I will do my best but on some days when I have to go out, it can be a bit of a rush and on some occasions there's more to say when I get back! You are right, the humorous and lively comments are often more enlightening than my initial blurb!
I do like Valerie's new butterfly. It reminds me of that song "Love is like a Butterfly" with its multi-coloured wings. On the subject of world time, I think a clock showing the time-zones would be a good idea. When I first started writing these posts in the mornings, they always showed up as the previous day. I had to wait until five passed eight to get the day right.....and then I realised I was using 'Google time' or 'Blogger time'!
And for Cherie from CherryPie....a "Happy Whatever" to you as well. You are always most welcome.
Francien and Kath want to see my 'etching' do they? That use to be a chat-up line many years ago . I don't know whether all you youngsters will have heard of it.
"Would you like to come upstairs and see my etchings?"
I wonder how many young ladies fell for that?
To please the ladies I will photograph the picture on the fire-screen. But not today.
Yes Jan, I guess you, or to be more precise your clocks, are around twelve hours behind mine.
I must get a time-chart.....I have one somewhere. We used to have them in our school atlases in the days when Canada, Australia and India were all coloured red. Did you know that although the longest night was on 22nd December, that it was not the latest sunrise or the earliest sunset. There is an offset between the two. I'm afraid my cats only celebrate my return from the supermarkets (NOT Tesco) bearing 'reduced' morsels of chicken and steak!
And last but by no means least, welcome to my new followers Doc FTSE and Michael from a blog with the wonderful address of 'fishyfarts'.
Another engineer to discuss technical bits with, and avoids me being overwhelmed with requests from young ladies wishing to be a long lost adopted niece! (only joking....I like it actually).
Yes, I did know about the blue moon. I had a post ready to go, with as you say the song "Blue Moon", but Kath pipped me to it with an excellent explanation which I could not match.
She posted here at railwaycottage.blogspot.com/ telling us that December was due to have 2 full moons, 2nd and December 31, with the first one on 2nd, being the Blue Moon.
So there we go.......what a start to 2010.
It may have to be a bit shorter in future....at the speed I type this has taken all morning!
.

Hi K.D . . . Thanks indeed for joining the small team of followers on my "Silly" blog. Look for Dan in that follower list. His "Vacant Minds" blog is funny, sometimes outrageous, always worth a visit.
ReplyDeleteIs that Spade Oak ferry you are talking about Uncle B?
ReplyDeleteBourne End? At a guess I would have said Berkshire but as I am useless at geography I will keep silent on that one.
ReplyDelete'fishy farts' was me I' afraid. ll of the blogs that I have started normally have a mention of fish in there somewhere.
Ah the blue moon I am sure that heralds something for a blogging circle of friends. But what?
ReplyDeleteWell Cherry Pie I guess we've all got 'dreams in our hearts' still and may we always have.It means we're still alive and kicking.
ReplyDeleteHappy New Year,another year of Bernard's fun blog to look forward to.
Hi Dr. As a Monty Python fan, I love 'silly' things. I shall look it up right away. Cheers.
ReplyDeleteMorning Kath.
The Spade Oak ferry was running to get customers to the pub, but a lot of the residents of those houses on the Berkshire bank had their own boats to pop back and forth across. The pub ferry only worked when the bar was open.
Hi CJD,
Welcome to my little blog.
The River here forms the boundary between Bucks and Berks. Bourne End is firmly in Bucks on the north side of the Thames but there is a dozen or so bungalows (& a pub) on the Berkshire side.
We shall have to ask Kath I think Cherie. She has done a bit of research.
Happy New Year to you too Liz.
I'm glad to hear you refer to this as a 'fun blog' Thanks.
Thanks for the compliment about my butterfly. Since I needed to 'remove my face' it seemed the best alternative... grins. We do get to know each other, friendships occur in a way we never expected could happen... for that I am truly grateful for blogging opportunities.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the mention 'Unk'.
ReplyDeleteYou now have a bridge over the river? wow! Bourne End is such a pretty place and who needs a bridge when you can have much more fun messing about in boats?
No research Uncle B, I just remember being taken to the pub!
ReplyDelete