.
.
I am hopeless at this HTML lark. I thought I had lost this YouTube clip but it had ended up on Tracker-bar instead.
As you can see the song is from 1934 and I notice came from a shop in Dorchester. This must have been lying around in someone's piano stool for seventy years before I came across it in a second-hand bookshop in Swanage.
So now we have Elsie in the right place, what do we know about her.
.
.
Elsie Carlisle (1896 - 1977) a popular English female singer.
Originally from Manchester, Elsie became extremely popular during the 1920s and 30s, recording with many of the big dance bands of the time, as well as solo. She recorded very little after the beginning of the Second World War, and retired from the entertainment industry after about 1946. Her business involvements included interests in ballroom dancing venues in south London, a company manufacturing bar accessories, a pub in central London and a Hotel/pub in Berkshire. She lived from 1939 until her death in November 1977 in her house in Mayfair in Central London.
I have quite a few sheets of songs that she recorded, but my all time favourite is this one below.
.

.
This also dates from 1934, obviously a busy year for her.
The one below is from 1926 in the days when you didn't get colour for your 6d.
Not a very flattering photo when you compare it to the one on the YouTube presentation.
.

Well, I had never heard of Elsie Carlisle. I have now.
ReplyDeleteAmazed at your huuuuge collection of sheet music by the way.
I expect she had passed on before Foody was born. There were loads of good singers in those days. They had to be good to become popular. Proper voice training, proper singers.
ReplyDeleteToday's moaning, groaning, wailing and mainly out of tune so called singing wouldn't have gone down well then.
Except of course those excellent singers in amateur operatic societies. (grovel, grovel)
You are hopelsss at HTML and so am I and I must be at least 50 years younger than you!!!!
ReplyDeleteAnother great post from this oh, so good site.
You will have to join us at Something For The Weekend,Sir?
Regarding your question, esteemed Uncle, I seem to remember you had to select the background you want and copy the code by striking through it (control C). Then you go "backstage" on your Blog and transfer it to the relevant place (control V). On the cute'n'cool site, there is a very straightforward instruction page, which I suggest you leave open, while you fiddle about! Watch this space then?
ReplyDeleteFifty years younger??? Are you suggesting I was born in 1904 !?!?
ReplyDeleteI make it twelve years younger but we are both in the group confused by software. Thanks for your invite CJ, but at the moment this one takes up most of my time....extra postings..
not just yet.....but I'd be quite happy for you to link or even copy any bits you fancy. I have no copyright on my bits.
Kath: Thanks for that I will have a go......stand back. If it all disappears you will know I have cocked it up!
Only kidding! If you were 50 years older you would 106!!!
ReplyDeleteA member of the Lennon generation eh? No bad thing at all.
I knew you were kidding. I was born in Bournville in 1942. Slap bang in the middle of Hitler's bombing. We didn't move away, just moved in with my granny until I was four.
ReplyDeleteJust going to off now to shed a tear about Cadburys.