.
I noticed that at several seaside resorts a New Year's Day dip in the sea was being planned.
This sounded like a good day out especially as it was being done for charity.
I gather that more than a thousand swimmers were expected to flock to the beaches - many in fancy dress - and brave the icy waters for the annual New Year charity dips.
Which bit of seaside should I select for my winter dip?
As children we had spent many holidays down at Clevedon in Somerset in our Mother's caravan. (we always referred to it as 'our Mother's' as she had bought it with money she had inherited).
Let it be Clevedon I thought.....a quick nip down the M4.....be there in no time.
Grabbed my knitted woolly cossy, a couple of towels and a thermo of home-made lentil and bacon soup and set off about 9-30.
Parked the car and full of enthusiasm trotted down to the beach.
I had miscalculated.......the tide was out.
.
.
Got dressed and retired to local pub for a 'swift half' (I'd forgotton about the soup I had left in the car)".
There I met a crowd of swimmers who had had more luck up at the Marina Lake. The eldest was 78-year-old Joyce Peters who has continued to enjoyed her annual New Year's Day dip despite a double shoulder replacement."I wanted to raise money for a good cause," she said.
Well it was too late for me to trudge all the way back up the prom to the Marina, and besides I never go swimming after consuming alcohol. So I stayed in the pub for another 'not so swift' half.
I later discovered that some 17 members of Middle Yeo Surf Lifesaving Club also took the plunge at their Marina.
The group usually wade straight into the sea from the beach, but this year the tide was too low.
So I was not alone.
On the return home I sorted out a suitable piece of music to finish off the day.
.
.
And if you believe this you will believe anything!
.

One of the members of the Investment Club I belong to is a sea-swimmer. Into his seventies, Douglas now restricts himself to a swimming season March to October. He lives in Worthing, which may or may not have warmer tides than Somerset.
ReplyDeleteEnjoyable post. Atmospheric lighting in he photo.
It all sounds far too chilly for me although I do know of a fellow blogger who did go for a cold morning dip.
ReplyDeleteWell sir B...i believed you untill i read your last sentence...i do believe you went there though..but never got undressed!!...made a little "jump"that you did not had to also...and went a bit to quickly to the local pub..well...thats what i would have done myself i guess..I have respect for the ones who do take the plunge..there are several here in Holland at the traditional "Nieuwjaarsduik"at Scheveningen..the oldest was 78...bless him..the braveheart..or madmann more like it..but i like to watch them from my cosy chair on TV ..cuddled up in a quilt...
ReplyDeleteGreetings Francien.
I didn't believe you made the lentil and bacon soup yourself.
ReplyDeleteGeoff and I often go to Eastbourne,and every morning come rain or shine there are swimmers at the crack of dawn!
ReplyDeleteThey don't always swim for long but it's the taking part that counts, isn't it?
They love it.
It was a spoof. The only true bit was that I DO make Lentil & Bacon Soup.
ReplyDeleteI heat it, and put it in a thermo and take it with me on cold days out.
You see I had this music "I can't see the sea today" and couldn't find a story to link to it. So I made one up!
78 year old Joyce was true, as was the Yeo Life-savers and of course it is true that a lot of people really do this sort of thing for charity. Well done to them all ...but not for me. How these in their seventies don't have a stroke or a heart attack amazes me. I have heard of younger people 'blacking out' on hitting cold water.
Nice of you to leave comments... they all make better reading than my tale. I couldn't even find a joke to go with this post.
OH shame!And there was I reminiscing about dear old Clevedon all to myself.Love the place!Have you packed your woolly swimmers away now?
ReplyDeleteHave loads and loads of old B&W photos of Clevedon and our holidays.
ReplyDeleteWe had woolly costumes that used to get heavy when wet and were always sliding down!!
I thought you were mad! I was about to ask did you REALLY go intending to swim and do you REALLY have a knitted cossie?!! Hope you enjoyed the soup.
ReplyDeleteSoup excellent thanks.
ReplyDeleteI like a little tease every so often.