Saturday, 16 January 2010

Sorry....More on the Weather

.
"Here is the News"

"After more than three weeks of snow and ice and in the midst of the best conditions for winter sports in 50 years, one of Scotland’s best known ski resorts has remained closed for a second day because of too much snow!"
.
.
Then there was this bit by John Hirst, the chief executive of the Met Office.
He was complaining that the recent criticism of inaccurate forecasting obscured their good record.
“The Met Office may not have got it quite right about the latest snowfall but our forecasting saves the UK £350m a year.” He said.

I simply do not believe him. The incorrect forecast for this winter must have cost the country a fortune. Frankly, the Met Office are a joke.

“Of course, we don’t get it right all the time and we’re happy to admit when that is the case. Our recent seasonal forecasts have been disappointing. Our initial prediction that this winter was likely to be ‘mild‘ in the UK is going to be wide of the mark.”

However…..

“Our seasonal hurricane forecasts for the North Atlantic show exceptional levels of accuracy.”

Really useful.?

“We are also renowned for our short-range weather prediction and our climate science, which provides forecasts up to 100 years ahead.”

Dictionary definition of ‘Climate‘.
“ - the average of weather over a period - is a complex, chaotic system which means there are an infinite number of possible outcomes no one of which is any more certain than any other.”
So, just like trying to predict the shape of a snowflake, predicting climate is therefore impossible.

Met Office has been thrown into this politicized AGW fraud. The Met Office needs to be split up with the useful weather forecasting bit and the 'the political, non-scientific, environmental activism’ bit completely separated. They're hopelessly compromised by climate science politics and will always over-state temperatures. I actually think the 'climate science' political part should be shut down completely.

Let's get the real Met Office back to weather forecasting.

“Our services for the aviation industry improve efficiency, allowing aircraft to fly with strong winds behind them and only light winds against, saving an estimated 20 million tonnes of carbon dioxide emissions a year.”

A weather vane would show you that for nothing.

.
.
And then to cap it all I read that...

"The BBC fly staff into Haiti to report on 'the reason why aircraft are unable to land' and are circling Port-au-Prince airport."

OMG
.

12 comments:

  1. Further to your "Wind" post, I came across this ditty in my mail box...A fart it is a pleasant thing, It gives the belly ease, It warms the bed in winter, And suffocates the fleas". Gotta go now, I've just been grounded from riding my trike and sent to my room...

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Ho,ho,ho, Auntie Kath".
    (:0)
    Mail...Who from Kath?
    Sent to your room with no tea!
    I will save that, if I may.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was actually part of a much longer missive on the same topic, sent to me by my friend Brian, who is well known for his sophistication ;)
    If you'd like the whole thing, drop me an email and I'll forward it to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kath . . that's not the Forces version! What's the Forces version? You're far too nice a girl to be told the Forces version . . .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Of course I trust you (being a Doctor an' all).
    One of my dog walking pals Barry is an ex RAF man and I often have the priviledge of being copied in on rather risque (email) rhymes. I'm guessing they're a "Forces" thing? ;

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH orl rite, Kath! Simply change your "belly" to something more scatological. The RAF version I heard used b*****ks and "massacres the fleas"

    and some versions have

    "A f**t is a blast of noxious gas"
    etc

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very windy around here today!

    ReplyDelete
  8. "A weather vane would show you that for nothing."

    Hahahaha. When I threw our TV away 14 years ago, my husband was distraught because (he said) he wouldn't know what the weather was going to be. I replied, "Look out the back door, that's the direction the storms come from."

    Not that it matters what the weather is when you go to an office an sit inside all day. And when the local weather 85% of the year is "sunny and clear."

    I can recall only two storms in the past 30 years that caused horrible flooding in our area, and neither of them was predicted by the weather service. On the other hand, every storm for two years after is over-predicted.

    But the funniest thing to me is, so what if you know there's going to be bad weather? Is someone going to stop it?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Evening Jan....I say that 'cause it's 7 o'clock, Saturday night and I've just poured myself a glass of Californian Red (wine)! It must be nice for those who drink (I know you don't) to be surrounded by the stuff!
    Well, 14 years without a telly..I got rid of mine 7 years ago...not missing a thing are we?
    We need a forecast here because as a small island exposed to the Atlantic we never know what is brewing up out across the sea and about to pound our shores next. Most of our westerly weather systems start over Gulf of Mexico way I believe. I have a barometer which get a tap occasionally..high pressure...no wind..hot'n dry or cold'n dry. Low pressure...windy and wet. What more do you need?
    Every day here we get a "Severe Weather Warning". It's a bit like shouting "Fire" too often...No one now takes any notice!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Too much snow for a ski resort....heard it all now!! Interested that expensive satellites and the latest technology make weather forecasting unreliable the world over, there's a lesson here somewhere!
    Keep warm!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bit late at night for me but you always amuse. Re the term 'uncle' I remember as a kid someone saying he'd never had parents as a sailor had played a dirty trick on an aunt!
    You may like my next blog, its done with you in mind! Going to bed, trying to understand my new i pod has given me a headache.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Liz, I had heard of the Wrong kind of snow. Not suitable for skiing type, but never....too much!
    Snow has all gone. Sunny day here.

    Ken: Past your bedtime then?
    Yes, I know what you mean. I had an Aunt with a 'live-in' friend and we had to call him Uncle. A blog about a Kipper! Whatever next? Cheers KD.

    ReplyDelete