Tuesday, 19 January 2010

"Pursuing Somethin' I'm not sure of"

.
.
As you will have noticed, two pieces of manuscript paper have attached themselves to either side of by blog ......... Badly!
The clefs, both Bass and Treble, have floated off to the left and the right hand piece has tucked itself under the centre script.

I told you HTML was not ‘One of the Strings in my Bow’.
I have never liked those two blank white strips either side. Other bloggers have fancy wallpaper and some backgrounds are a work of art in themselves. Also I can never understand why the centre script section has to be so narrow.
It is like trying to write an essay on a toilet roll.

Some have managed to expand the width of the section but my motto has always been “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it”. So not being a software expert I have not dabbled with the intricacy of HTML.

Software. The word itself conjures up visions of pink fluffy cushions, pillows on a babies cot and a rather feminine feel to things.

Now hardware, yes. Give me a good pile of hardware to sort through any day.
As the ladies, I have noticed, all seem to have mastered this ‘black art’ perhaps I may get some advice from a passing niece?

So dear friends, if you visited here last evening you may well have found my blog layout looked more like the three wheels on a fruit machine, with me trying one pattern one minute and another the next.
One of my initial concerns about tinkering was “what if I can’t get rid of it?”
Well no worry there, Blogger has provided a big “Remove Gadget” button.

So if you pass by again this evening and see a blur of flashing coloured pattens, -

“Don't be concerned, it will not harm you
It's only me pursuing somethin' I'm not sure of
Across my dreams with nets of wonder
I chase the bright elusive butterfly of love”

This takes me back to 1966 - the early days of courting......

The Song was recorded by many singers, including Cher, Glen Campbell Val Doonigan and Petula Clark.
My favourite was Dolly Parton and I still have an LP of hers with this track. But as the song was written by Bob Lind, here is a YT clip from 1966 as I remember it. (Before Foody was born I expect).
.

.

17 comments:

  1. 1966 was a wonderful year for me. Revolver opened doors I had never thought possible and music seemed sublime and filled with the promise of change; a change that only fractionally happened.
    I remember the song but not by Bob Lind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a clever Kipper, getting into all this html blah. It must be hard with fins.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm very proud of you Uncle Bernard, for having a dabble with the HTML.
    1966, hmm, I think that was the year I got my first pony!

    ReplyDelete
  4. HTML... all I do is copy and paste what's given. I have attempted to change the size where necessary but that's all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done Uncle B.. lovely blogbackground..i think i saw more with music themes somewhere..will let you know when can find them again....you get the hang of this..and i don,t remember Bob Lind...i was/am more a "soul"lover...Sam and Dave...James Brown...and ofcourse The Beatles...oh...1966...wanted to be a stewardess back then...stayed on the ground though...not always with both feet...
    greetings Francien.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Searchedfor you as a good neice and found the site and put the link here for you...if you like it width you try the 3 colomn backgrounds..
    http://decoratublog.blogspot.com/search/label/m%C3%BAsica?&max-results=5

    please paste the whole link and you should be direct at that site with the usic background perhaps more up your allee..
    gr. Francien.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As a gentleman, I usually respond to comments in the order they arrive but just this once may I thank Francien first for pointing me to this other site. I have tried it so WYSIWYG as we used to say at work. At least the width of the centre is now correct.
    I have tried changing the colour behind the script but is difficult to read so I have reverted to white.
    I may have another play tomorrow.

    CJ: Good years...I was at University in Birmingham then. I have to admit that his name was new to me also. As I said I only remember the Dolly Parton version.

    Thanks Foody, but kippers don't have fins....and this is not really difficult. Just copy & paste.

    Kath & Val: As I've said to Foody it is all about copy and paste BUT there is a lot of flaffing about with different profiles to get it sized up right. Some don't fit and others don't look right. I'm still trying different combinations.

    And back to Francien:
    As you can see I have used one of your recommendations. More up my allee, as you say. Beatles were all the rage then as you say. Everyone danced to the Beatles but I liked to listen to Folk, Country & Western and British Trad Jazz.

    ReplyDelete
  8. As I am reading this two musicals notes, either side of your blog, popped up.
    IT made me jump a bit, but it is really good. I like it.
    You,ve seen my blog site, all colours which is what I prefer, it used to be all pink (my fav colour) and then I got brave and changed it.
    LOL
    This is nice now.
    Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The musical notes look perfect to me know.

    I found that the standard blogger templates mostly had a narrow commenting bar. One of the reasons I got tempted over to Wordpress was because that portion of the page was larger so I could show my photos at a more viewable size.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nice changes, Bernard. You've more courage than I!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So sorry Annette, I'd been messing about trying to get this thing to work. I'll leave it alone for a bit.

    Cherie: They fit now, but the early version was too wide and the text overlapped the side pieces.
    I was going to colour the background behind the text but it meant changing all the text colouring to get it to stand out.

    Hi Deb: I gave it a great deal of thought first. Suppose I mess it up and lose the lot? I have no backup.
    But it is easy. You just add a Gadget in the normal way and then copy this HTML text into the box called "Html/Javascript".
    Go and look at that link Francien left me as there is a piano version which you might like.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is possible to back up your Blog Unc, I take a copy regularly. It saves the text only, but I think theres an additional procedure for the pics. Its the wording I'd hate to lose as the pics are stored, so I just back up the waffling.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have not found any reference to that Kath. Of course I am always backing up on my PC but I don't think the blog is stored on our computers.
    A really secure way of keeping everything would be to take a copy of the HTML text every day. That would give you references to all the pictures, YouTube links and your wording. But a lot of work. I will google "blogger backup" later.
    LOL (Lots of Love) Ha Ha, and you thought I was laughing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow!!the site looks fab, I love the background and the extra graphics!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Amy, Glad you like it. Can't decide whether to change the white background to match the sides or not. I had a go and it makes the text look faint. I shall leave it as it is for now.
    LOL Real Uncle Bernard xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Personally I would leave the background the way it is because it stands out making the text easy to read and not lost within the background.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You are right. I am going to leave it as it is. It looked good with the tinted background but as you say...not easy on the eye.

    ReplyDelete