Monday, 30 November 2009

"R O F L "

.
.
I had to ask what ROFL stood for the other day. I'm afraid I'm not quite up to speed with all this modern texting and stuff. The only ones I remember from earlier days were SWALK and NORWICH which was written on the back of envelopes!
.
.
Well, I learnt ROFL was "Rolls on floor laughing" so as I'd left a joke in the comments I was quite relieved.
It also gave me an idea for todays bit......Music Rolls.
I found this piano roll in the local charity shop for 50p. A bargain? Not really. I don't have a pianola to play it on, but it seemed such an unusual roll as it had the words to the music written vertically so that the child could sing along whilst pedalling.
.
.
More 'junk' to require a home. I ought to open a museum!

Now the winter is upon us with a vengeance, I tuck myself up in the warm and arrange and punch up a few more tunes. Of course before you can do this you need rolls.....and lots of them.
Being unable to buy these off the shelf we have to make do with what is available and convert it.
I use Fax rolls myself which come in useful 40 metre lengths.
The problem is they are too wide, so the first job is to cut them down to 115mm wide with a saw.
.
.
The roll is then transferred to the lathe where I take two cuts to take it down to 110mm.

.
.
It always amazes me that the paper does not fly all over the place. I just parts off in a nice little 'coolie hat'.
Just a quick check...........
.
.
110.03mm
That's less than a hair's breadth over...excellent
.

17 comments:

  1. I didn't realise you also punched music, going to give us the know-how of how you do it. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I arrange all of my music myself.
    I can either take it from the sheet music or arrange it on the computer.
    In the first case you don't get to hear the result until you first play it whereas on the PC it will play it back to you so you don't get to waste too much paper. After it has been drawn out on the back of the paper it goes over to the punch which I also had to build from scratch.
    Earlier this year I posted up a series on arranging etc as Roseanne was enquiring how to get started.
    I will pop up some links for you on tracker-bar.blogspot which will take you back to my original posts.
    Cheers.....Bernard

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting Bernard. You obviously have excellent eyesight, you leg-puller. Similar to ROTFL is PML....I'll leave you to work that one out for yourself....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooo Kath, you didn't, did you?

    Bernard, Loved the explanation and pictures about punching music. It sounds as though everything in your house is interesting. A museum would be a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree about the museum... so long as it wasn't called anything like "The Organ Experience" or "Organ World" and wasn't geared mainly towards children. There could be a bit where people could have a go and then play their "tunes" afterwards.
    What well maintained equipment and such precision.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel stupid. I looked at the pictures first and wondered why you were trimming toilet paper, did you have a holder that was slightly too small? Why not just set the roll on the counter or on the floor? Next time I'll read the words first.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Kath, I can see everyone now joining in this little game.....my first guess would be Mmmmm...
    pull my leg!

    There are quite a few Mechanical Music museums about Val. The only snag is..all the instruments have to work....most of mine are awaiting repair!

    You are right Foody, the ones that I know of ARE called things like that AND let children turn the handles. The paper has to be fairly accurate so that when it travels across the tracker-bar the small holes line up. If it is 'out' the organ will play wrong notes.

    Jan, you had me ROFL at your comment. You have made my day!

    Cheers all & thanks

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Bernard good guess, especially after you pulled my leg! OK, I will give you a clue it's "**** ***** laughing"........Can you tell what it is yet (Rolf voice)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think I can guess what you intended it too be......but you are a '*' short on the second word! (myself)?

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fascinating post, thanks for the information.

    Well I knew what ROFL was, but I have no idea what PML is...

    ReplyDelete
  11. CherryPie, it's - "pi**ing myself laughing"

    ReplyDelete
  12. As a gentleman, I didn't like to mention it!
    Thanks DD

    Glad you liked it Cherie. By the way I couldn't get on your site last night.

    ReplyDelete
  13. See what happens when I start asterisking without adult supervision....

    ReplyDelete
  14. I couldn't spell asterisk so opted for * .
    I thought it was your hubby that needed adult supervision, not you?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't think I will be adding that one to my repertoire ;-)

    My site seems to be fixed for now :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. That was one of my bail conditions, no asterisking after dark! Talking of Hubby, he's running wild in Telford as we speak...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Don't blame you Cherie. Our 'high class' blogs don't need this sort of thing TIC. (Tongue in cheek).

    'Running wild' in Telford! The mind boggles. I can remember when there was no such place as Telford. It used to be called Wellington if I remember correct?

    ReplyDelete