.
The gas was turned off for nearly 100 businesses yesterday to protect domestic power supplies after unprecedented demand brought on by the cold weather.
Business groups and politicians criticised the Government’s attempts to safeguard the supply and called for more gas storage facilities to be built.
Utter incompetence and total lack of planning. Other countries in Europe have loads more gas stored. It is only this government that is spending billions of pounds in overseas aid to India and Africa to combat global warming!
So we must...
.

.
Keep the Home Fires Burning,
While your hearts are yearning,
Though your lads are far away
They dream of home.
There's a silver lining
Through the dark clouds shining,
Turn the dark cloud inside out
'Till the boys come home.
And do you realize that.....
We sit on 500 years of coal.
.
.
Pam Ayres as always has something to say, bless her.
Sling another chair leg on the fire, Mother,
Pull your ‘orange box’ up to the blaze,
Hold your poor old mittens out and warm them,
In these inflationary days.
Sink your teeth into that dripping sandwich,
Flick the telly onto channel nine,
And if we get the sound without the picture,
Well, I’ll kick it in the kidneys, one more time.
.

500 years of coal? I never knew that! Mind you, we can never use it (emissions and "global warming" and all that crap) but I agree that the UK aid we send abroad should be drastically cut because charity really should start at home.
ReplyDeleteHi there K.D.! I started following your page because I liked the vintage pics. Nice to meet you! But I really liked this post when I scrolled down to see "Keep the Home Fires Burning". Highly amusing. I love how Mother Nature keeps confounding the politicians.
ReplyDeleteAmy (your real niece) came to visit me (to check me out ha ha). She kindly gives her blessing to all the unofficial adoptions :D
ReplyDeleteI thought that was very sweet of her not to mind!
I have a marvelous system to heat my house. First, the whole house is doubly insulated. I use a single small stove to heat the whole thing. On the worst day it uses maybe 20 sticks of wood. The wood all comes from my own property and is mostly fallen branches. When it's burned, I use the ashes in my compost pile. But our local county government, in an attempt to convince the federal government they're doing something about air pollution (caused by the county allowing itself to be overrun with houses and cars) has passed a law that says I can only use my heating system on days it approves.
ReplyDeleteI guess that's so I can pay for overpriced gas or electricity like everyone else, and waste resources.
There is a global disconnect between people and their governments that is astounding. Sometimes I wonder if it would be more efficient to completely do away with all laws and politicians every 25 years and start from scratch. Oh, and bureaucrats also. The agency that is in charge of our roads, Caltrans, is a repository of self-important, ignorant dudes.
Hmmm. Sorry for the vitriol. You struck a chord. Hope you all stay warm in the UK. I'll be using my wood stove illegally.
Onya Jan!Morning Bernard...the title of your post must have been written for Julie Andrews.She's about to grace us with her presence, despite, she says, only having 5 good notes left.
ReplyDelete500 years woth of coal left hey?Would that be partly due to Mrs Thatcher's wonderfully inventive coal protection policy?
As PC Dixon used to say
ReplyDelete"Evenin' all".
The 500 years DD was probably a Scargill quote, but having a google around I did find reference to 300 years. So maybe somewhere a typo. But still a lot of coal.
Then I found:- Figures at the time indicated Britains coal reserves would last perhaps a further 200 years. Closing mines down causes major geological difficulties which prevents their reopening in the future.
At the time however, we had north sea gas, and north sea oil. Because of tax breaks, the power generators went hell for leather converting over to gas fired power stations, and oil was abstracted like absolute crazy.
Britain has done well out of these oil revenues, but in the next few years these may start to dry up. The loss of this revenue will certainly screw up the economy.
Because many of britains coal reserves will be in geologically distressed areas, new fields will have to be opened up (Vale of Belvoir for instance), which is going to really upset many people even further!
Thatcher was very short sighted over many things, but then again, it is hard to think of any politician who looks beyond the next election."
So now it's 200!
Welcome Pam, nice to have a new follower. I too love old pictures. Let me know your favourites and I'll see if I can dig out some more. Did you mean me on the donkey? I have hundereds like that.
You will have to mind your P's and Q's Kath. My nieces are a protective bunch. I left you a comment earlier.
Jan, this sort of thing would make me very angry. Who has the right to you when you can have a fire and when you can not? Over here there is growing resentment about all this control and there is talk of 'Civil disobedience'. You see if thousands and thousands of people don't comply, then what can they do? They can't lock thousands up.
Don't be sorry...I am glad that people are rising (speaking) up.
Enough is enough!
I know, get TWO wood stoves..one for use on Mon,Tue,Wed,Thur. and the other for use on Fri,Sat,Sun!
Hi Liz,
See above about the 500years. It also appears that all coal is not the same! They are talking about 'clean' coal, 'dirty' coal 'suitable' coal etc. etc.
It's all a bit confusing. I say if we have got it. Let's use it!
I doubt they'll lock up the wood burners in California, they're turning actual criminals out in the streets because there's no room for them. Ah yes, civil disobedience. I haven't done that since the 60s, but I still know how to paint a decent protest sign. I also enjoy writing letters to the politicians once in a while, just to let them know all of the citizens aren't ignoring them.
ReplyDeleteHave a nice, warm weekend!
Love that icicle picture :-)
ReplyDeleteWishing you fortitude during this season. Spring will come...
ReplyDeleteThat's the spirit Jan. I don't see how they can enforce a ban like that.
ReplyDeleteI'm tucked up in the warm sorting out all my years 'junk'.
Hi Cherie. I tried to catch the sun on it. It was sparkling from one direction, but the sun got on the lens as well.
Thanks Claudia. I welcome the Spring but......it also means spring cleaning, which is not so welcome!