Monday, 4 January 2010

Dashing away with the smoothing iron.

.
"Millions face 'Black Monday' as snow and ice cause traffic chaos."

Now I would have thought that should have read “White Monday”?
Who was it that sang “Rainy Days and Mondays always get me down”?
If I remember rightly it was the Carpenters.
.
.
Recorded early in 1971, Rainy Days was included on the Carpenters album. Released as a single in April of that year, it became their fourth consecutive million-seller.
Days of the week feature quite a lot in song titles with I should imagine Sunday topping the bill. Of course Saturday and Saturday Night are popular and probably Friday and Monday also feature, but I can’t ever recall a song about a Wednesday or Thursday? There was of course a “Groovy Tuesday” by the Smithereens!

Poor DD reckoned the ten days of Christmas had been like ten consecutive Sundays, but here in the Kipper household is was more like a row of Mondays with seemingly endless meals of turkey. Cold turkey and chips, turkey fricassee, turkey a la king and turkey curry.

Mondays always were the day of using up the Sunday dinner ’left-overs’. If we had pork, roast potatoes and cabbage on a Sunday, you could bet your bottom dollar we had ’bubble and squeak’ on Monday. Lovely.
The other thing associated with Monday was washing. Kitchen full of steam, the old mangle hanging over the sink and mother praying for a dry day. With five children there was always…… always washing.
.
.
At school we used to sing a song about washing on a Monday.

“Twas on a Monday morning, that I beheld my Darling,
She looked so neat and charming, in every high degree.
She looked so neat and nimble O, a washing of her linen O.
Dashing away with the smoothing iron,
Dashing away with the smoothing iron, she stole my heart away."

I still remember the words nearly sixty years on!
.

13 comments:

  1. Did you finish your turkey in the end?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that ryhme. I think there are other verses, for Tuesday, Wednesday etc, but I can't remember them. I know a Thursday song, "Jersey Thursday" by Donovan.
    Guess I'm just an old Hippy at heart :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Foooooody,
    Nice to have you back (where you belong)!! No, sorry I've got songs on the brain. I meant nice to have you back on line. You look really frozen up there in ?????. Hope you, hubby and the ponies are keeping warm? (and the cat).
    Yes, I had as much turkey as I could stomach, along with cold sausage, cold bacon (rolled) and cold sausage meat stuffing! All made yummy with lots of pickled red cabbage, HOME-made pickled nasturtiums seeds and a dollop of of Sainsbury's mustard pickle!

    "Jersey Thursday"? Are you pulling my leg? I shall have to look that up. Is that a woolly jersey or the channel island Jersey? More ROFL.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Iv'e had another think Kath. It comes slow when your getting old!
    On Tuesday it was "a drying of her linen" and then on Wednesday "an ironing...." and it ended up..."a wearing of her linen O".
    Well done Kath.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember that my Mom and Aunties had nice aprons for each day of the week, with the job to do embroidered and written on it. In Montréal, the words were French, of course:LUNDI:LAVAGE, with a washing tub. Tuesday was ironing, for us. etc. Every young girl had 6 similar aprons in her Hope Chest. I wish I had kept mine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good evening Claudia, nice of you to drop in and comment. Interesting, very interesting...I didn't know that bit about six aprons. Why six? No work on Sunday I suppose. I am also wondering what a 'Hope Chest' was.
    Could it be similar to a 'Bottom Drawer', where a bride-to-be put things by (hopefully) for her wedding?
    Nice comment, thank you....Bernard

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes! Hope Chest could also be called a Dowry Chest (mostly in cedar wood) where a young woman accumulates linen items for her hope-for-marriage. In French, we call this "un trousseau". It starts at a very young age. And everybody contributes.

    I came here via CherryPie. I like your posts very much. I'm a retired R.N. and a musician (piano). I grew up French in Montréal (Québec, Canada.) It's fun to learn what was done, sung and played in the English world when I was young. The Internet is a treasure if you find the right blogs and links. Thank you for your attention.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I seemed to suffer the several Sunday syndrome in the same way as DD, but there again I put my left over turkey in the freezer for another day ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Turkey a la king...now you're talking!No poor old Wednesday gets left out or maybe that's a good thing.
    Well must away to the smoothing iron, have a happy Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  10. PS never did things by the book which is why I'm ironing today.Here we call a Hope Chest a Glory Box and girls had a cedar caved chest to house it all.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Claudia,
    Thank you for that interesting 'snippet'. I have some music in mind for a post about 'un trousseau'.
    I am a engineer, not a real musician.
    I can read and play music....'but very ill'...as Jane Austin wrote in P&P.

    Another sufferer the Cherie. I wonder if there is a medical term for it?
    I think all this gloom is from lack of sun!

    Liz, Wednesday is probable left out because ..nothing will rhyme wit it!
    A Glory Box?
    We used to have a Glory Hole under the stairs at home!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. No Uncle B, I would not pull your leg! The lyrics to Jersey Thursday include "
    In a tiny piece of colored glass
    My love was born
    And reds and golds and yellows
    Were the colors in the dawn
    Night brought on its purple cloak
    Of velvet to the sky
    And the girls were wheeling, spinning
    On jersey Thursday"

    See, told you I was just an old hippy...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Orange hair and long strings of beads? This is why you go to Glastonbury then? I can't imagine you rolling around in the mud to Rock music! RIML!
    You start off humming the tune and I'll join in.

    ReplyDelete