.
Oh no, not the Bagpipes!
.
.
I know....some people love them, others loath them.
I don't mind them....as long as they come in small doses. A march passing by, that sort of thing. I couldn't sit and listen to a 'concert' or whatever they are called.
You don't have bagpipes in your collection do you Uncle B?
Well, no. But I do have a couple of nice practice chanters. You can blow these to your hearts content (and annoyance to the neighbours) without having to worry about squeezing the bag.
They don't let you loose on the Real McCoy until you have had a practice on one of these
I got them in a charity shop some years ago.
.
.
I have opened one up to show the reeds (a pair back to back).
There is the Royal Coat of Arms on the one. Bagpipe Manufacturers to H M The Queen.
The origins of the bagpipe can be traced back to the most ancient civilizations. The bagpipe probably originated as a rustic instrument in many cultures because a herdsman had the necessary materials at hand: a goat or sheep skin and a reed pipe.
The Roman army used to march to bagpipe music. Some historians even suggest that Emperor Nero was a piper himself. The Romans introduced the bagpipes into Scotland. In those days Scotland was known as 'Caledonia'.
In 1745 the Highlanders were defeated during the battle of Culloden by their suppressors, the British. When a piper was arrested the British court decided that bagpipes should be considered as an 'instrument of war.'
A ‘Weapon of Mass Destruction’ perhaps?
Playing the pipes was therefore outlawed as well as wearing a kilt.
But not here in Bournville in the 1950's.
.

.
Yes, we all did Country Dancing at school in those days.
And a close-up for Kath to "send a few pulses racing!" (I don't think)
.

.
And don't ask.....I can't remember!
.

Hee heee! Like the close-up!
ReplyDeleteThey were meant for playing outside I suppose. The Northumbrian pipes are much more sociable. Have you been to the Morpeth bagpipe museum? I haven't.
Those blessed Scott's stole the bagpipes the day we kicked 'em out of Eire.
ReplyDeleteScotland is the Celtic equivalent of Australia dontcha know?
Oh you can stuff bagpipes as I never could handle their 'orrible din. Besides, men who wear skirts and have a tendancy to blow through a sheeps stomach that is attached to a load of pipes have a "bit of a problem" as far as I am concerned.
ReplyDeleteIf they play them long enough it will destructed anything...but its ok ones in a while...but i like the pictures and a man in a kilt... and yes...you are looking smashing too back then Uncle B..Kath will love it!!
ReplyDeletegreetings Francien.
P.S..great post about the windmills...there are lots of them here in Holland...
I thought Joshua used bagpipes to bring down the walls of Jericho.
ReplyDeleteWhat a fresh faced little lad and no scabs on your knees! Although I was thinking more about the Scotts porridge Ad on TV, if any ladies remember that!
ReplyDeleteI have a special affection for bagpipes, as a lone piper greeted us at the Old Forge at Gretna Green on our wedding day!
I love the sound of bagpipes when played properly. I especially like to hear a lone piper playing in the Scottish countryside.
ReplyDeletesmiley faces are fairly easy and if i can do them with my limited techno knowledge then......
ReplyDeleteJust use the punctuation marks
so that:) is colon and bracket!
:) ;) :D
Hope this helps, I noticed you were wishing about smileys at the railway cottage! x x
LOL (lots of love or laugh out loud)
Amy
Good morning all.
ReplyDeleteTrue Foody, for playing outside. I, like you prefer the quieter Northumbrian pipes. No I haven't been to Morpeth. I must add it to my list.
If you live up that way perhaps I could pop in for tea & cake?
Hi CJD, I'm afraid I didn't know that. Irish history is not one of my strong subjects. Irish music, maybe.
I have just arranged Roisin Dubh (Little Black Rose) for the organ.
Hi DD, Not to keen on those north of the border then? I thought you may have liked those hairy legs!
A dittie just for you..
"There was a bonny scotsman
At the battle of Waterloo
The wind blew up his petticoat
And show’d his kangaroo!"
"His kangaroo was dirty,
So he showed it to the queen
Who gave to him some Sunlight soap
To wash the bugger clean!"
Francien, I'm glad someone likes men with hairy legs! Yes, Holland, famous for its windmills. That music was about a Dutch boy & girl.
Jan I think you will find Joshua got his men to blow Trumpets. Mind you bagpipes would have probably done the job just as well.
Well done Kath, another supporter of bagpipes. I am flatter'd that you checked out my knees for scabs!
I don't go showing them to any old body you know!
Cherie, yet another supporter. Bagpipes win hands down. Sorry DD.
Thanks Amy, I knew about the : & ).
But some people have managed a little nose as well.
:-) doesn't look right?
LOL ....Bernard xx
Aw, how cute! Ha ha.
ReplyDeleteI'm with you on Bagpipes - outdoors = good indoors = bad.
I went to a wedding once where the father of the bride was a piper and 6 or 7 of his band came into the reception to play after dinner. Not good. Hated it.
This summer I sold programmes (charity fundraising) at the international pipe band championships on Glasgow Green, and it was brilliant. Thousands of pipers. Loved it.
TC. I thought of you (Scotland, musician etc) when I posted this.
ReplyDeleteMust be quite deafening indoors. I have only ever heard them played outside. I had a friend who used to practice out in the local woods to avoid upsetting the neighbours.
A thousand bagpipes! - more 'hot-air and wind' than Parliament!
Thats a bit spooky, 3 days later, I am just watching a programme on BBC 2 showing the Old Forge at Gretna green and interviewing the (bag)piper!
ReplyDeleteBagpipes are popping up everywhere!
ReplyDeleteSage has just put up something..just off to take a peek.