Sunday, 17 January 2010

Lock 'um Up? or Let 'um Out?


.
Published in 1931 to promote "The National League of Hikers" and organised by the Daily Herald. Do you remember the Herald? ......I used to deliver it as a paper-boy, 55 years ago!
You can listen to it here.
.
.
So what has been going on this week?

Well I found out that a former Royal Marine, who became notorious for his naked hike from Land's End to John O'Groats in 2003, has spent much of the past seven years in prison for repeatedly appearing nude in public.
The Telegraph reports that:-
"He was yesterday found guilty of breaching the peace when he walked naked from Perth prison in December after finishing a 12 month sentence for the same offence. Mr Gough was warned he will continue to be jailed every time he steps out of prison without any clothes on.
Mr Gough said he accepted he could "potentially" remain in jail forever and added: "This is about individual freedom."

I can't help feeling that if you choose to live in a society like ours, you conform to the rules of that society. And the same goes for newcomers to our country as well.
.
.
But.....locking him up in prison for the rest of his life.

Do you realise he has, so far, cost the long-suffering British taxpayer around £500,000 in legal-aid fees, court expenses, and the costs of keeping him – largely for his own protection – in the isolation wing of a Scottish prison.

A "Sledgehammer to crack a pair of Nuts", don't you think?

Anthropologists disagree on when humans first started wearing clothes – 100,000 years ago seems a reasonable guess – but broadly concur that for 99 per cent of our history, nudity has been the norm, and that dressing for the sake of decency is an almost wholly modern phenomenon.

And then on the same day in the Daily Fail I see they are trying to reduce the number of people being kept in prison!

"The prison population should be slashed by a third - putting 28,000 offenders back on the streets, according to a group of MPs.
The committee's 200-page report today calls for millions of pounds to be diverted from prisons to programmes aimed at rehabilitating offenders.
Prisons Minister Maria Eagle gave the report a lukewarm response. She said: 'Judges must have the option of prison for persistent, serious and violent offenders. Prison places have increased and will continue to do so to ensure there are enough places for violent offenders.'

I'd rather meet that 'hiker' on the street any day,
than just one of the 28,000 !

.

10 comments:

  1. Hello. Nice post! I've just popped a link to your post on my site, where I've got a copy of the song I'm Happy When I'm Hiking available for download: http://tardymusic.blogspot.com/2009/06/two-hiking-78s.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for that Tardy. I've popped up a link, if that's OK.
    I have hundreds of music sheets (and postcards) and although I can play the tunes on the piano it is always nice to hear an early version. Thanks.
    I'd like to do more cross links.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That does seem rather nonsensical.

    Maybe they should have let him out in the recent snow, he would have had to wrap up warm then.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm. Free board and room and all you have to do is refuse to wear clothes? Sounds like a brilliant plan.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Deportation to the Colonies should solve it,he can live his life at our local Maslins Beach totally starkers!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not a bad idea Cherie, but as they say "Where there's no sense, there's no feeling". LOL (which ever way you prefer!) :)

    Hi Jan, It may be free board but he gets no freedom!
    Actually, you read here about quite a lot of people committing crimes in order to get out of the cold. Even police cells are warm and they get a hot meal. If you are down and out, what have you got to lose especially in this freezing weather.

    Liz that sounds like a good idea. Is it a 'noody' beach?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Everybody's different and an individual, many are eccentric but there is something toooooo strange about anybody who wants to be soooooooooo veeeeerrrrry different from the rest of society.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I very much suspect that he knows he has made his point. But....he doesn't want to be the one who backs down. Stubborn I call it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Spend the rest of his life in prison in the cause of individual freedom? Do I detect a paradox at the logical centre of his argument?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Exactly.
    As Jan said "You get get free board and room". But at what price?
    Loss of freedom.
    Perhaps he doesn't love his wife anymore!
    People do strange things for a different kind of freedom.
    If you enjoy hiking - you wouldn't want to be locked up all day.

    ReplyDelete