Tuesday, 26 January 2010

Market Drayton 17101

.
I had several nice comments about my Dad yesterday. Amy (a real niece) asked for more pictures but, I thought, others may not share her enthusiasm.
But since Mom was holding the old box camera in yesterdays picture....here's one of all three of us.
.
As I said yesterday, Dad was away most of the time in the Royal Air Force and these pictures taken in 1943 would be when he had a few days leave
He was stationed at various locations during the war, but the one I do remember was Market Drayton.
He was stationed here when I was born and on hearing the good news,
all his mates had a 'whip-round' and collected some money for 'little me'. It was quite common then to give money as gifts because quite simply.....there were no gifts!
No toys......nothing!

"There's a war on don't you know?"

So Dad went to the Post Office in Market Drayton and opened a Savings Account in my name.
Little me with a bank account and only a few weeks old.
And......yes, you've guessed.
I still have that old book 67 years on. No money mind you. Just the book!

Market Drayton 17101.

Lets have a dig around for some music. How about this?
.
.
A Comic Song.....but you can bet that being in the RAF during the War was no laughing matter.
.
And I found a little dittie........

My Father, he was middle-class,
Whilst my Mother she was upper.
She always spoke of ‘dinner’,
When my Dad just wanted ‘supper‘;
And when my Grandad used to stay, they never could agree,
‘Cause lower-class old Granpa was a-shouting for his ‘tea’.
So whilst they fought and quarrelled,
And whilst each one argued harder.
All us kids would sneak away,
And go and raid the larder!
.

11 comments:

  1. Funny thing but my Dad too was in the RAF. He didn't see much action though as he was just a chippy and was born in late 1925 so a little too young to have seen much of the war. He ended up serving in Belsen which had huge and lasting effects on him.

    there is nothing quite like old family photos so keep 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too, enjoy the old photos, I might have to dig some out!
    Market Drayton, my friend bought her pup from there and called him Drayton, irrelevant, but true.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice little story.
    Irrelevant and very uninteresting but true: a man in Market Drayton said to me "Cheer up, love, it might never happen". I'd just had a near miss in the car and was walking along looking obviously a bit unrelaxed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how cute!!You look alot like your father there uncle B. same eyes...i too like to look at the old pictures...you had/have? handsome parents...cant tell you anything about the war..fortunally for me...because i was born shortly after that...

    and you seem to have music for every topic you write..how wunderful is that!...and how on earth did you find all those great sheets...like fabric and books to me it must be a passion of yours to collect them......

    Have a nice evening...its a very cold one here - 10 degrees already...its was a very short walk with my E-bulldog Meisje a while ago..she just did not move any further after an even shorter pee...and turned straight home..i did not complain...hot chocolate time!!
    greetings Francien.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love old photos too, thank you for sharing it with us :-)

    I also enjoyed reading the little bit of history.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Again, what a lovely post. From the first line to the last.It warms my heart. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks CJ.....you say keep them coming, but are they interesting enough outside of our family?

    Kath: Yes please, pictures of 'little' Kath.
    I have a picture of me with no clothes on! but Google might shut me down if I post it up on here.

    Hi Foody, at first I thought you meant my story was 'irrelevant and very uninteresting'.....it was only when I read a bit further I realised you meant your's!

    Francien: My home is full of books and old music. I have picked up nearly all my music in second hand shops, antique shops, 'flea' markets and 'car-boot sales.
    Keep warm.

    Thanks Cherie: I try to keep thing short as I don't want to bore people to death with hundreds of old family photos. Is it about right at the moment?

    Claudia, thank you very much. This is just the first instalment. When I dig out a few more pictures I will share them.

    Thanks all for looking in.
    Cheers.....Bernard

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful photo of you and your parents, Bernard and the older you become, the more you'll appreciate it's value. I think you resemble your mother, but we all view people differently. Your Post Office Savings Bank book reminded me that when we were younger, we bought savings stamps from the Post Office - always saving up until we had the massive amount of £1. Princess Anne and Prince Charles photo's were on those stamps (and that wasn't yesterday). xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank Mrs S.
    Mother used to take photos every month or so . I know this because she wrote on the back, my age.....
    ...Bernard 10 months, Bernard 18 months etc. I don't remember Saving Stamps but we did have Saving Certificates. You had to keep those for so many years before cashing them in.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you what a lovely photo x
    I can see lots of similarities in different people every time I look at the picture. I especially see owain and Dad in the picture of Grandad!!
    hope all is good with you x LOL
    Amy x

    ReplyDelete
  11. All's well here thanks Amy. Glad you are enjoying the pictures. I mustn't put up too many though....it might bore others......like those days of family holiday slide shows!
    LoLove xxx Bernard (Unc)

    ReplyDelete