Wednesday, 20 January 2010

A Sad End


.
.
But what's in a name?

The real Cadburys died years ago.
.
For my first 26 years Bournville was my home and my life.

The Cadbury family were good to us.

"Perchance it is not dead, but sleepeth"

Fond Memories live on.
.

9 comments:

  1. I think it short sighted of us to let it go. I believe in a free market and can see the benefits of globalisation but I also believe in keeping local jobs for local people. I also am concerned that as we have been 'selling Britain by the pound' these last thirty years what effects this has to have on the collective psyche of the British public. Surely this has to be taken into account? Our pride must matter as well as our pockets

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well well.... I did a post on exactly this subject today too. Miine did not capture the atmosphere that yours did though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wait a minute.... I thought you said you were from the norht of England? Isn't Bournville well and truly in the Midlands?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very sad indeed, I wonder what will become of it now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A sad day,noting will ever be the same again.Weren't the Cadbury family Quakers?Who believed in treating their employees well?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cj: It's all too late now. What has gone has gone. Shareholders are no longer resident in these islands and all we get are foreign takeovers by those with the cash.
    Morale hasn't been lower.

    Foody: Yours was good I thought. DD has done one as well. When did I say I was from the north? I probably meant north of where I live now.
    As CJ says...the North starts at Watford!

    Cherie: I read today that they will keep Bournville and it will be places like Uxbridge and Bristol where there will be closures and job losses. Sad.

    Yes Liz, I used to go to the Quaker Meeting House in Bournville. They used to look after us very well when the firm was still owned by the Cadbury Family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, I've heard that stuff before about north being north of Watford. South starts at Stockton.

    I can't remember where or when I thought you might have said you were from the north of England.

    ReplyDelete
  8. No, I don't remember either.
    I was born in Moseley, in a nursing home, almost the same road a Elizabeth Holden (Diary of an Edwardian Lady) and just round the corner from where J.R.R. Tolkien lived as a boy.
    After three days, I was back in Bournville for the next 26 years.

    ReplyDelete