Thursday, 21 January 2010

Something Less Melancholy please.

.
"Another melancholic post" Foody said.

Well OK, I suppose she's right. I will have to dig into my joke file tomorrow.

" Have you tried peanut butter yet?" she asked.

Well.. yes, sort... of.
.
.
Toasted up two lovely Tea-cakes.
Now to try this "highly recommended" spread called Peanut Butter.
It was Sun-Pat , Crunchy.
First of all ....it did not spread easily. Chunky, like cold butter straight from the fridge.
Smelled OK, but it did not melt....it did not drip, oooze or dribble. It just sat there in large hard lumps!
Well , let's try it.
Tastes just like peanuts.
Mmmm, I like peanuts, but the consistency of this was more like Polyfilla!
It stuck to my teeth....it stuck my tongue to the roof of my mouth.
Sorry Foody.
I think I'll stick to butter and let it dribble all down my arm and clog up my arteries.

And to look at it reminded me of something one finds in babies nappies!

Which brings me on to something else that happened today. During this cold weather and with all this deep snow, I fixed up a 'litter-tray' for Hazel. (she is nearly eighteen after all) and to save the mess on the floor, I put a few old news papers down as well.
Just look what turned up on the first page!
.
.
Less melancholy perhaps!
.

12 comments:

  1. You don't need to refrigerate peanut butter this time of the year. It spreads better at room temperature. Or you could put in on those teacake things (?) and microwave them for 10 seconds, then smear honey on top too. Makes my teeth hurt just thinking about it.

    Actually, that's way too much sugar for me, I just put it on nice crisp celery sticks and eat it that way. The celery keeps it from sticking in your mouth.

    But if you really can't abide the PB, use the rest of it to make peanut butter cookies. If you don't have a recipe, I'll send you one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Always nice when your recycling can have such meaning. I think it's nice to label ones conveniences, you know - just in case Hazel wasn't sure. She will be in no doubt now as to where she is invited to do her whatsits.
    Thanks for your comment on my blog - I am going to add that to my tea-making instructions! I just love it. Grandmothers eh, where would we be without their wisdom!
    x x x
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Peanut Butter on teacakes??? No way!!!

    Teacakes with butter please :-)

    I find peanut butter very cloying as a spread.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So how long did it take Hazel to learn to read?
    Understand your reservations about peanut butter.
    Nothing like real butter clogging up the arteries and it tastes like real food.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your profile said you like clocks and mechanical music.

    You may enjoy following my blog

    www.blackforestclocks.org

    Best,

    Justin

    ReplyDelete
  6. Please don't give up so soon on the PB. Jn is right. there's no need to keep it in the fridge just now. It will be softer then. Anyway if it's still too stiff, just trowel it on as if you were plasteriing with it.
    I was gong to say first of all that I would never spread it on a teacake. Maybe that's just me, but I don't like it so much with sweet things. I think you should give it a trial on plain bread or toast.
    Yes, I know it sticks everywhere but I was trying to say in my post that that is part of its joy!
    I see you chose crunchy - good choice!
    And I do love the "Potty"!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jan: You don't know what a Tea Cake is? A nice round currant bun!
    Eaten at 4 o'clock pm with lashings of butter. I have seen your recipe. I shall have to ask what 'shortening' is? Kath or Foody will know.

    Catherine, nice of you to drop by and comment. I was only over Risborough way last Sunday. Might have seen you in Tesco! I must write down all I can remember about Gran. These little things all get lost if we don't.

    Justin: Thank you for that site address. I will pop over and have a read. I don't collect expensive items. I just enjoy repairing and restoring the cheaper ones!

    Foody, I won't give up. It didn't come out of the fridge. I meant it was hard to spread like butter that has just come out of the fridge.
    I just happened to have the teacake, so I gave it a try.
    Jan has posted up a recipe on her blog for "Peanut Butter Cookies".
    How do you fancy those?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cherie: I missed you out :(
    how could I? Actually, what happens is that I cannot read the comments and type a reply at the same time.
    I have to jump up and down the page.
    As I said to Foody, the teacake was dying to be used up before it went stale. Like you, I usually choose 'naughty' butter. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Not sure. I assume they are sweet and I prefer PB as a savoury thing, except that I quiiiiite like those Reese's Cups.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mmmmm. Had to look that up.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93hxKtd4CdA&feature=related

    Oh so that's what they are!
    Don't I lead a sheltered life!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ah ha ha ha ha ha ha ha - potty! Excellent. Incidentally I don't like peanut butter because I don't like yellowish food. You described it perfectly. xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mrs S: This peanut stuff is new to me. I guess if our Mother didn't give it us as kids we weren't to know much about it. Can't say I'm over struck.
    Cheers....Bernard :0)

    ReplyDelete