.
“There’s an Old Mill by the Stream, Nellie Dean”
It was first published in 1905 as "You're My Heart's Desire, I Love You Nellie Dean" . The original sheet music is scored in B-flat major for voice and piano.
It was taken up in 1907 by the British music hall singer Gertie Gitana, becoming her most famous song and subsequently became popular in the UK as a pub song, particularly the chorus (There's an old mill by the stream, Nellie Dean…), which was often sung by itself.
.

.
However, today’s spiel is not about Nellie, I may save her for another day, but about streams.
I live here in Bourne End where a stream joins a river. The stream is the Wye and the river is the Thames. There are various claims as to where the name Bourne End came from. On old maps it is sometimes shown as Bone End and it is claimed this is because of ancient burial sites nearby. I think the most likely reason that it is so named is because it is at the end of a ‘burn‘ or ‘bourne‘. The old English words were ’burna’ and ’burne’, which meant - spring, brook or stream.
Now to go back to where I was “born”!…..Bournville.
Here again we have the word ‘bourn’, but here it is the name of the small stream that runs nearby. The stream actually starts off as Griffins Brook but further downstream is shown as Bourn Brook.
.

.
An early picture in Bournville park.
It was here that the Cadbury brothers set up their chocolate factory in 1879, when Richard and George moved their town centre factory from Bridge Street, off Broad Street, to a greenfield site between Bournville Lane and Linden Road.
The stream (the Bourn) runs west-to-east through the factory site. To this the Cadbury brothers added the French word ville meaning 'town', for it was fashionable at that time for confectionery to be thought to be French or Swiss.
.

.
A 1940's picture of Dad and I in the same park.
Dad was home on leave from the RAF.
.

Your Daddy looked very handsome in his uniform!
ReplyDeleteDown at Wooburn green, there is a house called Wyefront.
You're going to think I have mens pants on the brains after the comment I made yesterday as well LOL
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI was over at Bournbrook Village not so long ago. My how it's changed. It's a pity Cadbury is to change hands ... nothing ever stays the same. Perish the shareholders!
ReplyDeleteYou looked a really happy child in that photograph.
Your Dad was indeed a handsome chap but I am not sure if that really is you as there isn't a whisker in sight!
ReplyDeleteDon't forget to make your way over to here The Wilful Walks of C.J. Duffy when you get a spare sec.
What a lovely picture of you and your Dad (Grandad) I love seeing the old ones of the family x x x
ReplyDeleteI love that last picture :-) It reminds me I am long overdue for posting some more photos of my earlier years.
ReplyDeleteLovely post Bernard and full of interesting info..thank you.
ReplyDeleteSimply lovely...
ReplyDeleteKath: Do you know I've never noticed.
ReplyDeleteI suppose if you drive, you are looking at other traffic and don't notice these things. I notice you left a joke on Y-fronts and the deleted it?
Valerie: I don't think I would enjoy going back around the old familiar places. I prefer to remember them as they were. We were all happy children in those days. In fact I don't think I can remember or recall anything that was not happy. School was to be enjoyed in those days.
Hi CJ: As three of you thing Dad was a 'good looker' I may pop up another picture tomorrow. It's a pity I don't take after him! The beard is there to hide the reality.
Hi 'Real niece' Amy.
Yes I have quite a number of old photos, but I have to remember that these old 'snaps' may not interest everyone. I may have to limit them for things of more 'general' interest. LOLove. xx
Thanks Cherie, and there was I telling Amy they may not interest everyone.
Liz and Claudia: Thanks for popping in and comments.
Cheers all......Bernard
"I notice you left a joke on Y-fronts and the deleted it?"
ReplyDeleteNot me Uncle B, must have been one of the other nieces.
My 'other' nieces don't know any jokes about Y-fronts. They have lived sheltered lives! ;)
ReplyDeleteOh not Nellie Dean! My Aunt always sung that at family get-togethers and when she got to the "Sweet Nellie Dean" bit all the family used to sing (deliberately off key)"Sweet Nellie dean, sweet Nellie Deeeeannnn"
ReplyDeleteNice picture of you and Daddy. I don't know any Y front jokes either.
ReplyDeleteSorry I these two comments from two of my most valued contributors. I must get into the habit of looking at older posts.
ReplyDeleteYes DD it is the famous Nellie Dean. It is a shame it is always associated with drunks staggering home late at night. I actually like it....the song that is.
Hi Foody; Thank you. I shall put up Mummy tomorrow as well.