.
There used to be a song called "Three wheels on my Wagon". I don't have a copy but I do have fond memories of 'Three Wheels'
.
"A Morgan Three Wheeler"
Many years ago, way back around 1964 my brother Colin bought a three wheeler Morgan. The reason for this, was that you could drive it on a motorcycle licence and therefore have all the advantages of a car without having to take a new test. Of course, they were also sporty and cheap to run. I have given away the photos I took of his car (but probably still have the negatives). The above is not his but of a similar model. They had V twin engines out on the front of 1000cc, which gave them a terrific power to weight ratio as the body frame was made of wood. I build a little model of Colin's Morgan from a kit and still have it 40 years on.
.
.
In 1966 I decided that these were great little motors and bought a 1935 Morgan myself. It cost me £50. It was not quite the same as it had the engine under the bonnet rather than out on the front. When MOT's were introduced it became more and more difficult to get these old cars to pass, so I decided on a complete rebuild.
Well, to cut a long story short, this rebuild lasted thirty odd years and I never finished it.
I sold the 'old girl' a couple of years ago for £xxxx! Not bad for an outlay of £50.
As we were Morgan enthusiasts in our family it was not unusual to receive birthday cards with pictures of Morgans on them. My sister Jean, sent me this one some thirty years ago. (you notice how I never throw much away!)
.
.
A bit 'dog-eared' now.......but ....that reminds me that some of these engines were called 'dog-eared' because of the shape of the overhead valve rockers.
I liked this picture....all the little dots reminded me of the impressionist painters.
So I kept it.
About five years ago I decided I needed a fire-screen in the lounge, not only to hide the grate in the summer, but to stop the cats from trying to get up the chimney after the birds who sat at the top singing.
I decided on a tapestry front and bought a kit from a wool shop in Bourne End. It was a simple flower picture with only about eight different colours...a sort of 'painting by numbers' thing.
You only had to poke the right coloured wool through the right hole.
When finished I didn't like it all that much. Too stark. There was no graduation in the colours, it needed more tints.
I thought I could design a better one myself.
This is when I remembered that picture of the Morgan on that birthday card.
After months and months of doing a bit and undoing a bit, it was finally finished. There was no kit, no pattern....I worked it as if I was painting with a brush.
The picture will enlarge if you click on it.
So for Francien and Kath.
.
.
Hope you like it?
.
BLR 51 was the registration of my old Morgan.
.

It's a beautiful firescreen, Bernard.
ReplyDeleteOh those cars took me back a few years, not that I ever rode in one but just looking at them was enough ... well almost enough. A friend had a Morgan ... I could have scratched his eyes out.
Oh Uncle bernard, I love it. Brains and creativity, is there no end to your talents?
ReplyDeleteAnd I remember the wool shop in Bourne End. The lady who ran it was always immaculately presented, with make-up and coiffure. I think her name was Patsy? She died around 1985 when I was living in Flackwell Heath and she wasn't very old. Anyway, you did a marvellous job and I am very impressed.
Wow! that fire screen is really impressive. What a great piece of work.
ReplyDeleteOh man, oh man! That is one magnificent motor. Lost for words for once . . . and a pretty good firescreen., too.
ReplyDeleteWell sir...you made a masterpiece there!!...all from just a postcard...i am too very impressed!! Bet deep in your heart you must be very proud of your work..because it IS a "job"well done!!Thanks for sharing it sir..love it...Our friend had a Morgan Sportscar...we drove a Austin Healey 3000 in our better days...would not fit in it now anymore...lol...
ReplyDeleteA happy new year to you..all the best and good health...and if you don't mind i'd like to become a follower of your blog just to read your great posts ...and comment.. if i may... ones in a while in my somewhat twisted English..
greetings Francien.
I'm sending today's post to my brother, who is also an exceptional mechanic and craftsman. I'd never heard of this car, but I bet he knows all about it. I just love waking up in the morning knowing there's a good chance I'll learn something new today from my blogging buddies.
ReplyDeleteXOX
Beautiful work Bernard.Great model too.As you probably know I love classic cars and have always loved Morgans.Friends in Somerset had two, one a three-wheeler.It tragically got run off the road and killed one icy day.Occassionally see them here and pay homage.
ReplyDeleteLovely post.
What a lot of kind comments. Thank you.
ReplyDeleteHi Val, We had three Morgans in the family at that time in the 1960's.
They were not all that sort after in those days and weren't fetching high prices....hence £50.
I can't remember the lady's name Kath but as you say, she died in '85. The shop carried on selling wool etc. The shop was called 'Patricia's' if I remember rightly?
Glad you liked it.
Thanks Cherie, it is nice knowing that I have the only one like it.I like things to be unique.
Wonderful cars with loads of character Doc. I couldn't find pictures of our cars. I have them somewhere....days before digital.
Probably in a shoe box on top of the wardrobe!
And Francien, thank you for you lovely comment, for dropping in and for 'following'. My posts can vary from 'sublime to ridiculous' so be warned. lol. (left a comment on your blog).
Hi Jan, they have made their way over to the states. There is a 3-wheeler group I know of. Today I believe that 7 out of every 8 made are exported to US of A, and we have a two year waiting list!
And Liz, thanks...glad you like it.
When I was in the club I remember someone in Alice Springs owned one.
A long time ago, mind you.
Thanks again.....Bernard
I somehow missed this post before. I am so impressed with that made-up fire screen! No apttern?! What genius!
ReplyDeleteWhen I finally complete my wild flower firescreen I'll post it. I plan bits of it beforehand on squared paper by marking the colours with symbols, then just do the shoving in and the pulling out.