Thursday, 7 January 2010

Topsy-Turvydom

.
.
I‘m all out of sync. at the moment. It’s nice to have a bit of routine; at least you know where you are.
I can’t do the washing when I need to….well I suppose you can and end up with it all over the radiators!
I can’t go shopping when I need to….well I suppose you can….and I did!
Backed the car off the drive and away I went. Main roads were OK but on returning home do you think I could get back on the drive? Oh no. Sliding all over the place and it’s only a slight slope. It’ll just have to stay in the road where it ended up.
.
.
It’s all Topsy-Turvy here. The above was taken on Wednesday and the one below on Tuesday. What a difference a day can make.
.
.
Topsy-Turvy. I like that word…..or is it two?
Blogging is a bit like that at the moment. In the summer I had loads of ideas and loads of material and photos for posting, but what a shame to stay in on a lovely summers day staring at a screen. Now here I am, snowed up, needing to stay in the warm and hardly an idea left in my blog-chest.
I can always resort to a few jokes I suppose.
However whilst on the subject of Topsy-Turvy, I might mention Gilbert and Sullivan.
Their world was all TT. It was of course Gilbert who wrote the witty verse and nonsense full of word play, but did you know he was doing this sort of writing long before he teamed up with Sullivan.
.
.
Long before the Savoy Operas were launched Gilbert was composing rhymes and poems. He seldom wrote about real people, preferring instead the fantastic or improbable. In one of his earliest poems, 'My Dream', he introduces us to Topsy-Turvydom:

Where vice is virtue - virtue, vice;
Where nice is nasty - nasty, nice;
Where right is wrong and wrong is right,
Where white is black and black is white.

So I have no idea what today has in store for me.
Hope your's is better.
.

16 comments:

  1. Work has been canelled for me, due to te dangers of transporting elderly folks in the snow and ice. No post (still waiting for my important letter).The electricians have not been able to come and we still have no ceiling :D
    I havent tried to get the Noddy car out, as there is quite a slope from the end of our lane onto the proper road. Walking from the house to the house to the fields with the 2 tugging dogs is a bit dodgy, but we're managing. With no cooking facilities, we enjoyed a suprisingly tasty PING meal last night and are currently scoffing microwaved porridge. Other than that, we're fine and the dogs are loving it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Always look on the bright side of life". Kath.
    As least you have electricty and I'm told M&S PING meals are excellent althought the portions are a bit on the small side for a working man.
    This weather calls for lots of big hot jacket potatoes. My fav used to be one with chilli con carne in the centre. Too spicy for my delicate bowls now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, we're Bristish and we can cope! You don't realise how much you rely on your oven/hob/grill until you don't have one. Microwaving is a bit limited, but I am planning some jacket potatoes tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can't beat the good old jacket potato for some Winter cheer.Keep warm you good people, there hasn't been one like this in a while!

    ReplyDelete
  5. And of course there is the good old slow-cooker. I have mine full of good old fashioned stew....with big suety dumplings. The Birmingham variety not the light fluffy ones from Devon!
    And don't forget you can do a meat joint in them as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Liz,
    Thirty years so they tell us. I have known worse and know how to manage. I have quite a few bottles of Winter Cheer! I drink every-ones health. Cheers.....Bernard

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, I did a whole chicken in my new enormous slo cooker that I got at Christmas. I am venturing out tomorrow to get groceries, which include casserole ingredients you can be sure! Also, I just remembered, I've also cooked jacket potatoes in it. The others complained they weren't crispy, but these are desperate times :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wrap the Jacket Pots in foil and stick them in front of that lovely open fire you have. We used to roast chestnuts on our open fire when I was a lad. And you can do toast, muffins and crumpets (pikelets) that way.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a good idea! I better do it before I drink any more warm Gluwein!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, seems the weather sharing is worldwide! We had 14.5 inches over Sat. and Sunday, tomorrow we are expecting just 1 - 2. I just had to hike in a long drive carrying my tools, glues, and a set of piano keys because I was afraid my little truck wouldn't make it it the long, slippery, brook-bordered drive. Finished the job to have the customer 'discover' that they were all out of checks. "Could you please just leave a bill?"

    What choice did I have at that point? I'm now grumpy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Deb, it's called global warming! It's only pretend snow...the planets getting warmer. Al Gore told us so!
    That was good of you to go out in this weather just to do a piano. It wasn't exactly a matter of life or death, was it. (except of course for the check....which in the end you missed out on). Sorry to hear your grumpy....try a bit of Ragtime piano.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Smashing blog. Remember 1947! I do, just. How did we manage in those prehistoric times. I cant cope with fuss, much happier now in the lod boring routine. Must be an age thing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. As you know there are a lot of performesses from the song "what a difference a day makes"...( i like Dinah Washington's version) Uncle B and how right the tekst ..Both pictures are great...love the one with your cats!! It is very snowy and cold here too...took me a long time to get to the people (all above 75) to help them and bring a good soup...i was pooped in the afternoon...then i realize i am not 18 anymore..today there is still 15 cm snow here in the village and more on its way and its foggy too...so i'll be off..before it gets worse...have a warm day!!....greetings Francien.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Ken,
    Yes I remember 47, just. I was five so I was not all that tall but I do remember the snow being higher than my wellies. The snow at the roadsides was piled so high I couldn't see over it and people had to cut passages through to cross the road. But in spite of all this we had milk delivered, we had bread delivered and we had coal delivered. ALL by horse and cart.

    Hi Francien,
    We are all nice and warm thanks. I ventured out yesterday to by...would you believe...Cat Litter They won't go out! It's to cold so I have got them a 'dirt box' by the back door. It is very good of you to go out in this awful weather delivering soup. Did you drive or go around on foot? Take care.
    Cheers......(Uncle) Bernard.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I dont no if you read my posts about a new "wild"little ..three months now i guess..cat we had here in our little garden uncle B..but he took "eggs for his money"as they say here ...and came inside last night...one worry less for that little darling...its getting below 10 degrees tonight..
    and i go by food or bus as i don't have a car...i took my bike this morning just to put the soup in the little baskets so i dont have to carry them and the bike functioned as a walker.....you know the frase "if its does not kill you..it will get you stronger" ( i hope)if i quote that right...have a fine weekend! greetings Francien.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yes Francien, I did read about your new friend. I am glad to hear he is inside. The saying here is:-
    "He knows on which side his bread is buttered".
    I'm glad you were not trying to ride your bike loaded up with soup!
    We too have a similar saying about :-
    "It has to hurt to do you good".
    but I'm not going to test it out in the snow.
    Cheers...Bernard

    ReplyDelete