Friday, 15 January 2010

Uncle Bernard

.
"Hello Bloggers Everywhere"

Well in my younger days it used to be "Hello Children Everywhere."
.
.
The idea to post about this came from the fact that I seem to have acquired a load of 'new' nieces who insist on calling me Uncle. Not that I mind in the least....anything is better than 'a grumpy old xxx'.
As children we knew loads of gentlemen who we referred to as Uncles. In fact, we only had two true uncles, one on each side of my parents families. Any of my father's friends who came to the house were respectfully referred to as Uncles.
It was Uncle Jim, never.....Jim !
We had loads of other Uncles, in fact every male member of the family tree, other than Cousins and Grandfathers were called Uncles.
We even had Uncles in comics and books....and of course on the radio.

Around 1954, for generations of children, Saturday morning with Uncle Mac, was one of the great highlights of the week. Although the weekday "Children's Hour" provided rich entertainment for those between the ages of potty and puberty , Uncle Mac's selection of record requests was something very special: you might even hear your name being read out!
And thinking back...the three most requested tunes were, The Laughing Policeman, The Runaway Train and of course I know an Old Lady who swallowed a Fly.
We all knew the words of every verse and would sit there like good little boys (I don't think) and sing along.
.
.
I won't type out all the verses of all the songs; life is too short, but here is a flavour.

The Runaway Train

T'was in the year of '89 on that old Great Western line,
When the winter wind was blowin' shrill,
The rails were froze, the wheels were cold, then the air brakes wouldn't hold,
And Number 9 came roaring down the hill -- oh!
The runaway train came down the track and she blew,
The runaway train came down the track and she blew,
The runaway train came down the track, her whistle wide and her throttle back,
And she blew, blew, blew, blew, blew.

The above song was played regularly on the 'Children's Choice' radio programme that went out on the old BBC Light Programme. Vernon Dalhart was one of the true pioneers of Country music along with his compatriots Jimmie Rodgers, Carson Robison and The Carter Family.



I know an Old Lady

I know an old lady who swallowed a fly,
I don't know why she swallowed the fly,
I guess she'll die.

I know an old lady who swallowed a spider,
That wriggled and jiggled and tickled inside her.
She swallowed the spider to catch the fly,
I don't know why she swallowed the fly,
I guess she'll die.

The song was written by Alan Mills, and the lyrics were penned by Rose Bonne. Probably the best-known version of the song was released on Brunswick Records in 1953, and sung by Burl Ives.

The song tells the story of an old woman who swallowed increasingly large animals, each to catch the previously swallowed animal. There are many variations of phrasing in the lyrics, especially for the description of swallowing each animal.



The Laughing Policeman

I know a fat old policeman
He's always on our street
A fat and jolly red-faced man
He really is a treat

He's too kind for a policeman
He's never known to frown
And everybody says
He is the happiest man in town!

All the above can be found on YouTube.
.


23 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember it well! Heehee I remember that one too.
    Bernard (not Uncle Bernard, you'll note) you just took me back to childhood and yes I still remember all the words. I can remember those songs more than modern ones! Sparky's Magic Piano was a particular favourite. However, I thought Uncle Mac was much earlier than '54 since that was the year of the first white dress and flowers. My memory does tend to fail me at some times, though, so I could be wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved Uncle Mac! Every week you could guarantee that Sparky's magic piano was played, as well as The Runaway Train and Nellie the Elephant. I remember all the words to all those 1950's hits - just how sad am I?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Uncle and auntie. Yes, I have friends who will refer to me as "Auntie Foody" to their children. I'm not sure I really want to be their honorary auntie but thye never asked me.
    Grump over. It's Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Valerie, you mustn't admit to knowing about things before 1954! You will give your age away. I believe Children's Radio started back in 1926, and this is confirmed by the date on that CD cover. Uncle Mac was certainly around before the war, as were a load of other 'Uncles'. CA Lewis was known as Uncle Caractacus.
    So you are right.
    Childrens Hour first went out in Dec. '23 but I have no idea when Children's Favourites started.
    I need to do more homework.

    DD: I actually can't recall that Magic Piano, I will have to look it up. I am arranging Nellie the Elephant for the organ as I have the score available.

    Hi Foody: I think people use the title uncle & aunty to be polite.
    It's as if using just your Christian name was rude. I have never minded being called just Bernard. I have a nephew who is Dep.Head of a local school here and he calls me Uncle Bernard. It seems strange coming from a 'grown-up' man (taller than me). He is probably reading this. Hi Owain.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is it 'Aunty' or 'Auntie'. Anyone know?
    I also have a sister Jean (who never reads this) and also happens to be an Aunty.
    Does anyone remember that TV program with the lines
    "Ho, ho, ho, Auntie Jean".
    I was trying to remember where I had heard it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. We were brought up to call any adult "Auntie or Uncle" as it was considered more respectful than using Christian names. At the grand old age of 50, I still call my (real) Aunties, Aunty.
    The only Aunty Jean I can remember was on TV, in the 60's there was a childrens programme on Sunday afternoons, called "Tinker and Tucker", who were (puppet) wombats. They were kept in line by a lady called Aunty Jean.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hallo Uncle B.. Me and my brother were also brought up to always say Auntie/ Uncle to any older person that came in to the house to visit my parents..related or not...i remember my mother told me to give the kind "Uncle Doctor"a hand when he came to see and examen the little sick "Francien...is it?"Yes Uncle Doctor"..well you know the drill..Here in Holland it was..and at some family's it still is.. also not a custom to call your parents "you"..as in f.e. do you have?...my mother would not had allow that!! Its always "u" for older people than yourself and only "jou"for people around the same age as yourself...Even if we make one's acquaintance for the first time we call eachother "u"untill both agree on the "jou"...hope you still understand what i mean...and yes its a strange country Holland...but it all has to do with respect for the older ones...i kind a like that..if you shake a youngsters hand nowadays they call you at your first name rightaway..i dont like to be called Francien by my 4 years old grandson too..but then...maybe i am to oldfashioned...

    But then ...we still have a childrensprogramm here called "Ome Willem"too..i used to sing along with his songs and looking forward to this programm every wednesday..we were allowed to go to the "richer" Uncle neighbour"to watch that programm...he had a thing called TV and was the first in the hole village...

    memories...

    Have a great weekend...greetings Francien.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry for the mistakes Uncle B. i let the comment go without reading it back..warned you about my "wonkey"English...
    gr.Francien.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, I really did have 6 wonderful uncles and since all but one are now late, I'm so happy to add you as an uncle, Bernard. We had no uncles on early TV, we had Buffalo Bob (the Howdy Doody Show) and our local fellow was Captain Sacto, followed by Skipper Stu. Later on the national TV it was Captain Kangaroo and Mr. Green Jeans, and then the wonderful Mr. Rogers, who would have been a great uncle for anyone.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes I had one or two honorary uncles who weren't part of my family.

    It might surprise you to know that I could probably sing along to a fair few of those songs.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I never minded being an Auntie to my friends' children. But, recently, when one younger friend, introduced me to her toddlers as "Grannie Claudia", I said "Nope!" Even if I might look the part, let me keep the illusion of permanent youth...

    It's fun to listen to those songs on YouTube. It completes my French education. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well that's the first I knew of Tinker and Tucker being Wombats!!
    Yes, the Uncle and Auntie days, long gone now.
    No danger of me asking to be your honourary niece Bernard, we're just too close in age!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Kath: I think you are right. You have a better memory than I.

    Francien: Please don't apologise for 'typos'. You do very well.
    I believe the French also have 'rules' about when they use 'vous' and 'tu'. But I am no expert when it comes to languages. I was so bad at both French and German that I wasn't even allowed to sit the exam. (O-level)!

    Jan: I just love those names you mentioned. I must try a search on YouTube to see what pops up?
    You are welcome as another niece, but I do hope this poor old 'Uncle' doesn't have to buy Birthday presents for all of them?

    Cherie I am surprised. These are songs for the 'Baby Boomers' from the 40's and 50's.

    Yes Claudia, I would also draw the line at that! Uncles/Aunts can be any age but not Grannies. I never seem to have time to put in links to YT. I suppose I should try. Glad you found them though.

    Liz: I am sure Uncles and Aunts can be any age. Wombats....are they real? or is it a slang term for a different animal. I've never seen one. Come to think of it I have never seen a possum or a raccoon either.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just Googles it out of curiosity, and youre right Vo, they were actually meant to be Koalas (it was a long time ago!). I also discovered that they were called Tingha (not Tinker) and Tucker and there was a club one could join. They used to cross a bridge at the start of the programme called the "Wibbly wobbly way". There are clips on Youtube!

    ReplyDelete
  16. And I've just watched a bit.
    There was a "Willie Wombat" in the program and as you say, two Koalas and Auntie Jean.
    I was too old to watch Koalas & Wombats....I would have been looking at girls in 1962! :(

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think I know some them from when the family used to get together with my Grandfather who used to get his old sheet music out. He would rewrite some of it so it could be played on the recorder.

    I am not sure how the others came to be in my head though...

    ReplyDelete
  18. I used to play the recorder too. I still have them but they don't get played these days.
    I haven't heard them on the radio. I expect they are not suitable (swallowing flies etc) for children!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Uncle Mac! I remember him well and all the songs mentioned here. There was another though and one Ithat got me into hot water while bouncing on a bed like a frantic jack in the box.
    It must have been around 1960, I was six and in hospital. One of the cleaners was named Nelly and yes, the old refrain of Nelly the Elepahant sprang to mind and then to voice. The poor woman would have killed me if she could as the whole childrens ward were pogoing like mad while singing this as she cleaned!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Brilliant, Bernard! Bring back Wurzel Gummidge, I say!
    And whatever happened to "Epamonandas, honey child" who didn't have the sense he was born with?

    ReplyDelete
  21. If that had happened in today's wards and the said lady was slightly overweight......I think you would have been in deep trouble from the PC brigade!
    They were good days.
    Days of freedom of expression.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Blogfollowers and Christmas Cards? Year after year I notice that our household receives as many Christmas cards as it sends plus or minus 2 or 3. Is this true of blogfollowers? Do bloggers attract (roughly) the same number of followers as the blogs they read, particularly if they leave comments. I'm sure there are a good many Ph.D's in Sociology to be teased out of our blogging, Facebooking and Twittering habits. (Oh GOD . . can you imagine anything more boring?)

    ReplyDelete
  23. It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if someone was doing a study at this very minute. Incredibly boring...yes, but just look at what they get up to now? A degree in Golf Course Management...etc.
    I have noticed that if you do follow, people do tend to reciprocate. There again I have several people following who have never left a comment. They seem to want to collect followers like we used to collect golliwog badges of jars of jam!

    ReplyDelete