Saturday, 30 January 2010

BT's New definition of "Evening"

.
.
Yes...... but not till after SEVEN O'Clock.

Look what I've just had from BT.

"We'd also like to make you aware of some changes to our prices, terms and conditions, effective from 1st April 2010. These include changing what we define as the evening call period for all types of calls: at the moment from 6pm-6am, but changing to 7pm-7am. For more details about this change, as well as changes to our call set-up fee and daytime rate, please see below.
Thank you for being a BT customer. "

Don't you just love them. Tight fisted B******'s.

I suggest you pass this around before you get caught out.

8 comments:

  1. Good evening Uncle B.,

    Don't know nothing about telephonerates in England...guess they do want more money as well from you when you make a call after 7 ?!...

    but i know that song..thats the one ...if i remember correctly with lots of "(i am calling) ÿouhooohooohooo in it right?!..

    And thank you for your funny comment on my B-blog...and yes why shouldend you/man have a needlecase??...mayby not in your "purse" but in a inner pocket somewhere... i remebered something when i have read your comment...my chef of early days went on his own to a businessmeeting ones by train and just for the day..so he did not had a second shirt with him..and did last his cuffling and the little button which goes on the shirt too, so he could not close it anymore and had to staple it from the inside because he did not want to roll-up his sleeve..those were the days that you had to ask for it in a hotel..every good hotel has a little case now in the room as a little compliment of the house..you know the ones..they look like little matchboxes with a needle..safetypin...button anda little bit of yarn in it....my chef would have "killed"for a little needlecase back then..
    Have a great sunday!!..
    greetings Francien..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bernard . . . that change from (6 to 6) to (7 to 7). I'm merely puzzled.

    BT still behaves as if it thought it was a state owned monopoly. Wonder if they've ever counted up how many ways there are these days of communicating for NOTHING or next-to-nothing. Skype to Skype in UK mainland for example. eMail. Blog comments. Mobile phone "magic numbers". I'm down to about 2 calls per month on my BT landline. Only stay with them because they still look after line repairs . . and they might not be enamoured of competitor customers when things go wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Francien, This was a little extra post....a rant, I suppose.
    That is not the same song as you are thinking. This is very old sheet music about telephone calls. I should have done a longer post and explained it better. Sorry.
    I can't see us men sewing on buttons when we are out of the house. I would roll my sleeve up, I think. My Mother and Grandmother would always carry lots of 'safety pins'. I think it may have been something to do with broken 'knicker elastic'!! although I'm ony guessing.

    Hi Doc. I used to work in telecomms years ago, so I know all about traffic patterns and 'busy hours'.
    You are right, less and less are using the 'old phones' but...there is a large demand from six o'clock when the cheap rate cuts in. People ring their mates and friends to arrange that evening, book restaurants and things like. The cheap rates were introduced to be outside office hours. Most offices close around 5pm. so this is just a crafty way to raise more money. It doesn't cost them any more if you make a call at 10 to 7, than if you make it at 10 past 7.
    I use my internet phone nearly all the time but this rule will apply to that as well (I need to check) as I'm on free 'weekends and evenings' only.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know Bernard, I received that letter too, glanced at it, put it to the side for reading later which I probably wouldn't have done! Thank you for highlighting the topic for us 'glancers'.

    Although I use BT, I never use it for making daytime calls where I'm charged by the minute. I always use one of the 'others' where it costs me 5p (including VAT) and I can be on all day for not a penny more. The cost used to be 2/3 p but it's gradually crept up - though it's still cheaper than BT.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't realise it was changing. The time looks as though it is catering for working people who get home later these days.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Mrs S.
    I have a few pensioner friends who always wait until six before making their calls. After all, if its only for a chat, why pay when it's free after six? You probably missed it because it was in the small print.
    They don't want you to know.
    Like you I don't use it during the daytime except if I have no choice.

    Hi Cherie: As I have said they don't want you to know. The six till seven slot has now become what they refer to as a 'Busy Hour'.
    They have moved the goalposts to rake in more money without putting up the unit call cost.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for that. Letters such as that one go straight from doormat to shredder in this house, so thanks. So they give you an extra hour in the morning. Great. I make loads of calls between 6am and 7am, no I don't.

    ReplyDelete
  8. If I remember, you don't surface until after 7am! (so I'm told).
    The bad news is you'll have to pay for those between 6-7pm in the evening unless you are on an 'anytime' tariff.

    ReplyDelete