Sunday, 10 January 2010

"Who has seen the Wind?"

.
I bet everyone is getting just a bit 'Snow-weary', so I thought I'd go back to the summer months.
To Turville.
.
.
Seeing those graves and the windmill on the hill reminded me of a 'Grave Warning'.
Whether or not it was on a real grave I know not.

Let the wind go free, where 'ere you be.
For lack of wind was the death of me.

Well here in Bucks there is little wind at the moment but years ago there were many windmills in the English counties of Buckinghamshire, Bedfordshire, Hertfordshire and Oxfordshire.
.
.
I have a leaflet listing not only the windmills you can visit but also all the watermills.
The windmills can be found at
1. Lacey Green 3. Chinnor 6. Wheatley 7. Brill 8. Quainton
10. Ivinghoe 14. Cromer 15. Stevington 17. Bradwell

There are also quite a few private ones not open to the public, which includes this one at Turville.
Being on private land it was not easy to photograph.
.
.
And now a couple of hundred years on we get an announcement that more offshore wind farms to power 17m homes are to be built. I suppose this is being spun to put our minds at ease re gas running out in the future.
Will they be any help on freezing days like today?
And why are they not generating power....because there is no wind.
And there in no wind because there is a high pressure lodged over us which precludes the Atlantic winds from coming in.
High pressure......freezing cold......no wind......no power.
In order to provide the government target of 10% of UK electricity from wind power, we need to build around two hundred thousand turbines. Spread then out along the East coast and there will always be wind to power at least half of them.

Great these wind turbines, aren't they?

Yes and I found a bit of music.....Dutch, by the look of it.

.
And now for something completely different.
Look away to avoid embarrassment.



Sorry to lower the tone but .....
I had to include this Victorian card in a post on 'Wind'.

.
.
And I thought ladies never did this sort of thing!
.

6 comments:

  1. I have never visited a windmill, I think I need to put one on my list of places to visit.

    All I can say about the postcard is, she can't be much of a lady ! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't Turville where the Vicar of Dibley was filmed? There is an interesting windmill in Wendover, which has no sails, as I believe in the late C19 it was converted to steam.

    http://www.windmillworld.com/uk/wendover.htm

    I agree with CP, this "lady" is obviously a tart who likes to fart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Foody was up the windmills road only today and failed to notice if they were going round! I think they weren't though, but it was windy. It's often the way.

    I don't mind if the reference to being snow-weary was a reference to me. I quite like talking about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are very interesting Cherie. A bit technical in places and of course, not a lot to see as in a House or Garden. You have to climb steep stairs or ladders so flat shoes are a must. (and slacks /trousers rather than skirt).

    Hi Kath.
    I think someone else asked that and I really don't know as I never saw the programs. Chitty Bang Bang was. I posted on that before. I have have not heard of the Wendover one, I shall have to have a read. Thanks.

    Hi Foody, I believe the wind speed has to be around 5mph before they move, and even then they generate minuscule amounts of power compared to power stations.
    That reference was NOT to you, far from it. I enjoy reading all your encounters with the weather. I am just off to read your latest (and see if I can figure out where it is?). I only said that because this cold spell is going on a bit and all this disruption is getting people down. You, however, seem to be coping well, especially struggling into work like you did.

    Cheers all.....Bernard

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here the snow is slowly melting. It's a relief as I have a long journey to work Tues/Weds (teaching days) and was a bit concerned about the East Coast snow. Incidentally, at New Year the wind was pretty strong on the East Coast - lots of waves crashing over the harbour wall. (went on holiday)

    For my 10th birthday I had a trip to Brill Hill. I remember clearly as my friend Lauren rolled down the hill over some dog muck and we all had to go home early. Fun times.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I trust your Birthday trip to Brill did not start out in Glasgow?
    One hell of a day out!

    ReplyDelete