Friday, 17 July 2009

A bit of (late) Research

.
Have you noticed all the amazing ‘studies’ and ‘research’ going on at the moment.
Amazing, because most of them seem so ridiculous and the results they publish are so predictable. You always want to say “I could have told you that!”
Things like:-

“Research has found that watching too much TV caused illiteracy in children.”
“A scientific study has concluded that Hobbits did exist as a separate race and not just in Middle Earth.”
“A 40-year study of almost 1,400 men found drinking a little alcohol regularly boosted longevity.”
“Those who feel in a good mood because it's a sunny day are able to remember less well, according to memory tests carried out by Australian researchers.”

And….where does all this funding come from?

Forty odd years ago, when I left University, my first job was doing research in the telecommunications industry. It was 1968 and it was ‘real’ research and development. (R&D). There were projects into ‘speech recognition’, ‘character (text) recognition’ and there was a development for a ‘video phone’.
When the funding dried up, the research just stopped.
Of course, nowadays all these things we developed then, are now common place.

So what is the latest ‘hi-tech’ study up too?

“Cats interrupt contented purrs with an annoying whine in order to get what they want from their owners, researchers from the University of Sussex found.”

What can I say?

I know....... I have a follow-up study that they could carry out.

Why, when I put a bit of old carpet down in the garden to kneel on, and then go back to the shed for the trowel and bucket……..do I get back to find all the cats sitting on it?
.
.
Or perhaps they would like to do a bit of research into why dogs wag their tails when they are pleased to see you?

I feel a ditty coming on!

There was a Dachshund once so long
You haven’t any notion,
The time it took for its tail
To register emotion.
Thus when its eyes were brimming o’er,
With tears of grief and sadness,
Its tail would still be wagging on
Because of previous gladness!
.

No comments:

Post a Comment