Friday, 24 July 2009

One Giant Leap

.
.
I'm going to give my right-hand forefinger a rest today. Yesterday I cut the tip on......yes, the edge of a bit of paper! Sore!

So as it's 40 years since we had "the Man in the Moon", I dug into the music chest and...

I do remember exactly where I was when Armstrong fluffed his line!
He should have said "..one giant leap for mankind"....but instead said "....one giant leap for a man.."
Never mind, I'd have been nervous as well.

We all stayed up to watch it at 'work'.
Yes we were all still at 'work'.
On the site, was the staff club bar and lounge, and in the lounge was one of the very first colour televisions.
We must have waited hours and hours and to be honest the pictures were very disappointing.
The achievement, fantastic.
There was relief that the landing was safe...but it wasn't really worth staying up that late for the pictures.
Except perhaps to say I was there and saw it.

"Silvery Moon and Golden Sands" 1937
.
.









"Moon at Sea" also 1937 (A good year for the moon)













This is wartime piece from 1939 played by one of my favourite Dance Bands.....Ambrose.


















Kate Smith's "Moon Song".

No fancy names for singers in those days!

She also sang in that show "Piccaninnis' Heaven".

Not sure if the PC brigade would approve today?







.
I had loads more....but enough is enough.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment