Thursday, 23 July 2009

English Country Garden

.
.
I have been admiring some of the gardens that appear on other blogs, like here and here.
So neat and tidy, colourful and everything in its place.
Years ago I would have spent hours in the garden, but these last few, maybe ten, years I have seen things go downhill.
First...my Plum tree died, then the Russet apple followed....a couple of years later a Greengage went the same way.
In the shrub garden things were no better.
Winter after winter I noticed that things no longer reappeared in the spring.
Even things like Primroses withered and died during the warm summers.
Of course, plants get old and 'tired'....I have got older and 'tired' and things are just not the same anymore.
Over the last five or six years I have been noticing what the National Trust do with their gardens. Lots of hardy shrubs and Lavenders and things like that....low maintenance. Yes.. I like it.
But......it still needs working on .....just look at it this morning!
.
.
Grass is growing, lawn wants mowing,
Edges shearing, rockery clearing.
Time for sowing, all that hoeing,
Seedlings feeding, borders weeding.
Peas need sticking, fruit needs picking,
Plants want staking, leaves want raking.
Deadheads snipping, hedges clipping,
Brambles chopping, branches lopping,
Nettles hacking, bonfires stacking,
Limbs are aching, back is breaking…
Think I’ll sit…..a bit.
.
.
Oh, yes......I nearly forgot.....that first picture at the top, was my garden here about ten years ago before I got 'tired' and 'old'.
.

7 comments:

  1. What a very nice garden in the top pic. I was gong to say it didn't look all that low maintenance to me. Weeds and grass just push up through all those herbaceous plants, don't you find?
    did you not want to replace your deceased trees etc?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My yard was in a "resting" mode for several years, my life was just too busy. Then I found Sergio. He comes every Friday and cuts the lawn, hauls off my piles of trimmings and weeds. I pay him to do the stuff I don't like so I can spend my time planting and enjoying the yard. As I get older I realize I don't have to do everything myself, but also that perfection isn't necessary. We can enjoy the "wild" look as well as the cultivated one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Foody,
    I used to put a lot into gardening in those days. If you 'left click' on the pic, it will enlarge. On the question of trees...I think they would take too long to mature and give any fruit.
    Hi Jan,
    I like that expression..
    "resting mode"..very good.
    I shall remember that.
    You are right, we can have too much tidiness sometimes...hey, let's go for the wild look!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have the advantage of living on the same property as my Mom, who loves to garden. So, she takes care of the plantings, trimming, watering, dividing, etc. and I do the digging and mowing. Of course that's still too much gardening for me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Actually, gardening is good for you.
    Fresh air, exercise....it's just that...things always need doing in the garden when you got loads of more important jobs lined up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the link :-)

    It looks like you have a wonderful garden. Mine is in much need of some TLC. I am hoping to have friends round to sort it out soon. I just need a free weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, Cherie, not quite so wonderful as it was 10 years ago.
    "Friends to sort it out"....now they sound like the type of friends I need!
    I'm too busy doing other things, which is why the garden 'takes a back seat'.

    ReplyDelete