Tuesday, 14 July 2009

"Old Thatch"

.
Mention 'Stratford on Avon' and nearly everyone will think of Shakespeare....but mention Bourne End and the response is likely to be......Where?
Well, believe it or not, all around this area are homes and histories of quite a few famous people.
.
.
Last weeks walk took me down to the site of the old Spade Oak Ferry. This is where the tow-path would have changed sides. The ferry has long gone and it is now possible to cross at the railway bridge on a footbridge attached to it.
Just north of the river and up the old lane from the ferry we come across a cottage called 'Old Thatch'.
.
.
'Old Thatch' was the home of Enid Blyton.

Her first 'real' home had been at 'Elfin Cottage' in Beckenham but she and her husband had moved to Bourne End in 1929 because of a proposed arterial road nearby.
Enid grew to love this rambling old cottage and they stayed here for nine years. In 1931 their daughter, Gillian, was born here and later in 1935, a second daughter, Imogen.

I have walked passed here many times and have always been able to admire the cottage from the road, but last week, just when I wanted a photo, I found that they had erected a large screen. I suppose this is what happens if you live in a cottage previously owned by a famous person.
Everyone wants to photograph it. (I wonder if it's on Google's 'Street-view' yet?).
.
.
Here is an old B&W photo I managed to find. It is much more attractive in real life and the gardens are open to the public during the summer months.

Enid was born in 1897 at East Dulwich, South London and died in a nursing home in Hampstead in 1968.....the very year I left home in Bournville and came to live by the Thames.

And yes, I did take a photo over the screen......I don't know whether to feel guilty or not?
If Google can do it........
.
.
Except they .....hold the camera level !
.

4 comments:

  1. That photo of the riverside is lovely, it must be a very beautiful walk. Interesting information about the cottage too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can, of course, now walk almost the full length of the Thames. I think some of the best parts are from, say, Windsor to Oxford. It's nice above Oxford but I have my favourites bits around Dorchester.
    Your photos are stunning, your blog seems to have a larger format which helps.
    Blogger seems to condense mine down and I notice they don't seem sharp.
    But....if you click on them they enlarge to full screen and look OK.
    Cheers.....Bernard

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the compliment :-)

    My blog used to be on blogger too and I noticed the photos were bigger when I moved it. Now I know to click and enlarge them I will do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Truly, they are very good.
    The reflections on that lake were perfect.

    ReplyDelete