.
.
January Man
Being cooped up in the warm is an ideal opportunity to see just what you have got in those old boxes. It’s a nice job in the warm and as Spring seems some way off I was not in the mood for Spring cleaning, although after removing all the decorations there is certainly a need for it.
I had just read all about ‘de-cluttering’. It said.......
“Declutter! Dejunk! Throw away!”
“Go on! Chuck out all your useless sentimental bits and bobs, and silly souvenirs.
In this digitalised 21st century, your home should be shiny, bare and minimalist - like those shown in television commercials and posh property magazines.“
This article is itself a load of rubbish!
If there is one thing I can’t stand - it’s a home that doesn’t look ‘lived in’.
Untidy….no. Lived in……yes.
I’m not untidy. I keep all my bits and pieces in boxes. Usually labelled.
Boxes of old photos, boxes of old musical instruments awaiting repair, boxes of old postcards and boxes and boxes of old LPs.
.
.
And there I found my old Folk records from 40 years ago. Yes 1970 this record by Dave Goulder & Liz Dyer. I had previously bought the album ‘Requiem for Steam’ and enjoyed Dave's songs very much so I followed it up with ‘January Man’.
Dave is now 72. His birthday was funnily enough 1st January so perhaps that is where the title comes from?
So should I be throwing all this out?
In fact, according to a new survey carried out by YouGov and a self-storage company, it may even be bad for us, leading to all kinds of later regrets.
"Should we really have thrown out that box of postcards?
To most of us, the baggage we collect through life brings with it little jolts of memories. And when we throw out that baggage, we're carelessly depriving ourselves of those constant reminders of how we reached this point."
No, we need to save something.
My Aunt she died a month ago,
And left me all her riches.
A feather bed, a wooden leg,
And a pair of calico britches.
A coffee pot without a spout,
A mug without a handle,
A baccy box without a lid,
And half a farthing candle.
Is there anything sadder than going into the bedroom of an old person confined to a care home and who now has space for little more than a few photographs?
But lets end with a smile:-
I’ve got a pile of rubbish
That doesn’t mean a thing,
In fact, each time I look at it
My eyes begin to sting.
Despite its dreary presence
I’ve come to realise
It really would be suitable
To win the “Turner Prize!”
.

Please don't just throw out, consider freecycling instead as one man's junk is another man's treasure xx Happy New year to you and many happy organ days for you this summer xx
ReplyDeleteIf i would throw everything out i have collected over the many years of every country i lived in Uncle B... i would end up with olmost nothing...even my husband after 40 some years is a "souvenir"from Bavaria...a guess we all have our bagages of things that... when we die... the kids will put on the side of the road a.s.a.p to take away by the dustman....but are of extreme value to me...although nobody but me seems to think that..I have started a weekend of " decluttering "ones....started off by putting everything aside to put in the bin..but then you start looking at it again and remember where you got it from... somethings with a tear or a smile...and i was ending up putting everything back..totally abused my free time..so i leave them boxed now and look at them ones in a while....so please show us your "throwouts"first here...like what i saw and have read in todays post of yours...keep warm...dont like the "white stuff"anymore ..enough is enough...greetings Francien.
ReplyDeleteI hoard. I collect. I save.
ReplyDeleteI hardly ever throw things away.
I was reading this article in, I think, the Telegraph which suggests we have a good de-clutter. I disagree.
As you say Sage, recycle. If I do decide that I don't want or need any books and things they go to the charity shop down the road. Thanks for kind wishes.....I like the idea of "Happy Organ Days".
Francien my dear, I am not intending to throw anything away.
I was having a sort out. Things I don't need anymore ...say .. an old LP record of Beethoven's Fifth.
I probably have this now on CD. So the old record can go.
But no, no, no, never to old photos and bits of my, and my families past.
I do the same as you. Get something out.....think ...I don't need this.
Then when it gets to the bin...?
No, it comes back in and is put away again for a bit longer.
I don't have any children to pass things on to, so I expect my benefactors to make endless trips to the local tip! Who would want all my junk?
Sorry no throw-outs today. All back in the boxes.
I am a hoarder and recycler. A few years ago, I read that "There's no such place as away", which made me realise that everything we throw out, ends up in a hole in the ground somewhere.
ReplyDeleteYes, we need our bits and bobs,they provide us with fond memories of past pleasures and special people. We would not have our little mementos of our Grandmother if she had binned all her nick-nacks.
You are so welcome to come and stay, our house is dead lived in I tell you. Whatever my Mother says.
ReplyDeleteOur house is cluttered!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteGeoff is a avid reader and god knows how many books we have, the spare bedroom is FULL!!!!!!
I do get the urge to throw things out tho, because it becomes just a little too much, so we have agreed that when the nice weather comes(??????) we will spring clean.
Mind you, we do it every year and every year it ends up the saME WAY!!!!
Saving your own stuff and living around it is one thing. Living for 25 years in the detritus of someone else's life is quite another. The happiest day of my life (my adult, old-age life) was when my husband moved out 3 years ago and took his boxes and boxes and boxes of stuff. It was never stored in a manner to be usable, it was just dusty, dirty boxes everywhere. I didn't realize how depressing it was until it was gone. I might have done something about it (insist he pay to store it somewhere else) but I wouldn't have tossed it out, I have respect for other people's possessions.
ReplyDeleteHusband lives alone with his stuff now. It's still in the old dusty boxes he hasn't peered into for 30 years. He's a good person and we talk often. So, as long as your lifelong collection of stuff isn't taking over someone else's life, and you really enjoy it, I think that's great.
I do have old things. I live in the family's old house. I have some old furniture, and maintain the repository of old photos. I had quite a few family antiques, but passed them on to cousins who I knew would treasure them. I'm trying to scan all the old photos so we can all have copies of them.
Bernard, you are sort of doing that with your old music, sharing it with all the rest of us. To me, that gives it life and value. Thank you.
I am a terrible hoarder, I have stuff all over the place (in cupboards). Every now and then I do a declutter and the following week I realise I have thrown something away that I now need!
ReplyDeleteLovely blog. You would not believe how much I have hoarded. Must do an inventry.
ReplyDeleteKath, don't you find that years ago , things were made to last. Today, with so many 'crappy' items being made, all you can do is throw them out.
ReplyDeleteNo one else would want them. They want 'new' all the time. Or, as you say...recycle...grind them up and use the materials again.
Hi MH. A thousand year old housewife?
Surely not. Nice of you to drop in.
I think you will find this blog is "well lived in" as well!
Hi Annette, I never consider books as 'clutter'. They are an essential part of a 'lived in' home. What you need are more bookcases.
So, Jan your ex collected boxes then? Dusty boxes.
Or.... were there some interesting goodies inside them? Over here, men who collect things are usually relegated by their wives, to their sheds. There is something about an Englishman and his shed. We all have them. A treasure trove of vintage goodies. Not for cluttering up the house. Except in my case, with only the cats, I can surround myself with ephemera and bibelots.
(Anyone know the plural of bibelot)
What we all need Cherie, are bigger cupboards or bigger homes!
Hi Ken, I can well believe how much you have. We all do it. It must be valuable if you are doing an Insurance Inventory.
Yes, Ken, please do an inventory on your Blog, I'm sure it will make fascinating reading!
ReplyDelete