Wednesday, 8 July 2009

Making Strong Cheese Secure

.
.
It always seems a bit strange how the words 'Cheese and Wine' come together....it's a bit like 'Strawberries and Cream' or 'Sage and Onion'. They just roll of the tongue.
In fact it is not a good idea, so I'm told, to eat cheese when drinking a good quality wine. Certainly not if you want to enjoy the wine's flavour.
However, I like a glass of red with my cheese and biscuits because I prefer very tasty cheese and the wine I buy is three for ten quid from ASDA!
But it is not ASDA that is in the news today, it is Tesco again.

Tesco is to put security tags on cheese after an increase in shoplifting during the recession.
The metal strips, usually put on alcohol, razor blades and CDs, have now been added to items such as Cathedral City cheddar cheese.

A Tesco spokesman did not say what rise in shoplifting there had been , but said:

"we have a number of security measures that we enforce in our stores across the UK.

"The decision to use security tags is always made by the manager of the store and tags are used on various items such as bottles of spirits, all at the manager's discretion."
A local parish councillor, said: "Anything to discourage shoplifters is a good thing, and this is something I would certainly encourage. Meat and cheese is getting very expensive now, so this could be seen as necessary."
The Retail Food Consortium added that electronic tags could soon be put on all supermarket food.

And who is going to pay for this in the end? Yes you've guessed it.....we are!

"We expect crime to go up during the recession," a spokesman said. "Shops will look at this and step up security."
Last year it was reported that thefts were up by more than a third at Tesco since the effects of the economic downturn began to bite .

What depressing times we are going through.
Let me cheer you up......

It’s quite divine to ‘Wine and Dine’,
..….and laugh ‘til you’re in stitches ;
But there’s no pleasure so rare,
that can compare,
…….with scratching where it itches!
.

2 comments:

  1. Tesco are the biggest criminals of all - ripping off farmers, cheating on planning regulations, paying low wages, bullying small businesses off the high street. They are a veritable monster. It's not the cheese that needs tagging it's the shadowy shareholders who presumably live lives of vulgar luxury on the back of Tesco's obscene profits. By the way, if you hadn't guessed, I am not a fan of Tesco!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel exactly the same way about Tesco. I decided that they weren't go to make any more profit from me.
    I have changed my home insurance and returned my "loyalty" card to them cut in half! I don't suppose for one minute that they care. They are just too big and greedy.
    Cheers.....Bernard
    PS thanks for dropping in...you have just doubled my reader count!!!!

    ReplyDelete