Thursday, 30 July 2009

It was Midnight on the Ocean

.
Another Silly Song from the nineteen thirties....
........in fact a very Silly Song.
.
.
"I bought myself a Bottle of Ink...Heigh-Ho, What am I going to say?"

And later on...

"I bought myself a Blotting Pad in case I made a smudge,
Although my heart was beating fast, my hand refused to budge."

So what shall I say today?...... I know I'll follow Cherry Pie with a Nonsense Verse.

It was midnight on the ocean,
No bus was there in sight,
The sun and moon were shining
And it rained all that night.

In that summer snow storm
The rain came down like glass,
And a bare-footed boy with boots on
Stood sitting on the grass.

And....


.
"Take it away Norman!"
.

7 comments:

  1. Ha Ha I haven't heard that one before :-) I shall have to remember that one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Highly enjoyable! Though I think the lines "In that summer snow storm, The rain came down like glass" were merely a long-term forecast of the weather in Leeds this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aha! From my blog, before we 'met'.

    The Dying Fisherman's Song

    'Twas midnight on the ocean,
    Not a streetcar was in sight,
    The sun was shining brightly
    For it had rained all that night.

    'Twas a summer's day in winter
    The rain was snowing fast,
    As a barefoot girl with shoes on,
    Stood sitting on the grass.

    'Twas evening and the rising sun
    Was setting in the west;
    And all the fishes in the trees
    Were cuddled in their nests.

    The rain was pouring down,
    The sun was shining bright,
    And everything that you could see
    Was hidden out of sight.

    The organ peeled potatoes,
    Lard was rendered by the choir;
    When the sexton rang the dishrag
    Someone set the church on fire.

    "Holy smokes!" the teacher shouted,
    As he madly tore his hair.
    Now his head resembles heaven,
    For there is no parting there.
    -- Author Unknown

    ReplyDelete
  4. Come back Cherie and see what Deb has in store! And there was I, trying to find something different!!
    Thank you all for comments...Do you know...after I posted this one I thought "Hmmmm Kipper..not your best"
    I do have a few more of these but I'm sure everyone has already heard them.
    You see Deb had the complete version hidden away deep down in her blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is certainly a song of great silliness. Well done to Deb for filling us in on the rest :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Many, many years ago my dad would simply recite, "a barefoot girl with shoes on." Can't remember any particular logic in when he did it, and never more than just that line.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent. :)
    I can see it wont be long before we have another "Silly Week".
    There has been more activity around everywhere this week than I have seen since I started!!
    PS How do I get a nose? here-> :)

    ReplyDelete