Tuesday, 28 July 2009

News in Brief

.
There I was doing a Google search for “Herrings”, you know, the fishy type, before they take up smoking and become kippers, and what did I find?
.

Oh no…..not more Knickers!

This time from my favourite county….Dorset.
When a village fete committee decided to budget for this year’s summer gathering because of the recession, few in the community realised how far they’d go.
Keen to keep costs down, the committee has ditched the bunting this year and will be lining the streets of Langton Herring with... pairs of knickers!
What started as a joke at a meeting has turned into reality with assorted piles of underwear strung up on string to decorate the village in the run-up to the fete on Saturday.
Chairman Anne Kerins who volunteered her home as an official ‘pantie collection point,’ said:
“The credit crunch is the theme for our fete this year. We’re keeping all the prices as low as possible and will be selling credit crunch biscuits which are delicious and cheap and also don’t cost the Earth to make.”
“I think visitors to our fete who see the panties will take it in the way that it’s meant – a bit of fun. Hopefully, it will make them smile and I think these days we all need something to smile about.”
She went on to say:
“We all thought that life is a “bit of pants” these days so how appropriate to fly panties instead of bunting. It’s given people a bit of a chuckle although I don’t think everyone approves.”
“We must have over 100 pairs. People have been very generous.”

Hmmmm….Must be a few ladies down there in Dorset finding it a bit draughty?

And as it's supposed to be a 'silly week'......
....here's a picture of my 'drawers'!!
.
.
Where I store my music collection.

And a ditty to suit……

There was a old man from Kentire,
Who was seized with a carnal desire,
And the primary cause,
Was a young ladies drawers,
Which were hung up to dry by the fire!

(Perhaps I should rename this blog “Kipper’s Ditties”?)
.



2 comments:

  1. What a fun way to advertise a fete, it reminds me of the bra collection for breast cancer which we take part in at our office sometime.

    A nice collection of music you have there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must be into the thousands now.
    Of course it's not all in the cabinet....I have three piano stools all full as well!!
    The cabinet is a lovely old 'roll front' type that I bought in the local antique shop for £60.
    Solid oak.

    ReplyDelete