.
.
The operas of Gilbert and Sullivan appeal to many people today because they are a genuine piece of Victoriana, as authentic as William Morris wallpaper or a Penny Black stamp.
Half the charm of the Savoy operas is that they are so dated.
They have that air of innocence, naivety and contain all the fun of that long vanished age.
But here we are now in a different century, a different age, a time when we mustn't offend.
Who could take offence at G & S comic operas? I have heard some say that the Japanese may be offended by the ridiculous characters in the Mikado and there have certainly be many attempts to rewrite certain passages.
.
.
Above is the score from the Mikado......what is sung now is "The banjo serenader".
there is also a mention here of a "piano organist". How can it be a piano and an organ? I think what is meant is a barrel-piano which looked similar to a barrel-organ.
.
.
The above line is now sang as....."Is painted with vigour".
Instead of just the above change, it was seriously suggested to rewrite the whole verse!
Two of the proposed alternatives were:-
The lady who dyes a chemical yellow
Or stains her grey hair green,
Is taken to Dover
And painted all over
A horrible ultramarine.
The lady who dyes a chemical yellow
Or stains her grey hair puce,
Is made to wear feathers
In all the worst weathers
And legibly labelled 'Goose'.
Isn't that just plain awful. It doesn't sound like anything Gilbert would have written.
I actually don't like this messing around with older works, whether it be music, or literature.
The question is - where do you stop? There must be thousands and thousands of references in songs, plays and books which could offend someone somewhere.
Why do people have a right, not to be offended?
.

It is a bit like Enid Blyton and the Gollywogs...
ReplyDeleteI always think classic literature should be left as is.
If something needs to redressed perhaps adding a suitable forward or footnote would be better.
Just my opinion.
Exactly right.
ReplyDeleteActually, do you know,I was just this very minute writing a bit about Enid Blyton.....what a strange coincidence?
I'm inclined to agree about leaving things as they were. they are timepieces. It's like removing Churchill's cigar from pictures of him. I hate smoking but I would even go so far as to say if a character iin a play is a smoker he/she should be allowed to be actually smoking on stage.
ReplyDeleteNow that is a strange co-incidence.
ReplyDeleteHi Foody, You are right ..you can't change history.
ReplyDeleteSmoking is a bit different I think.
I agree that on film it would be OK but on stage I'm sure there would problems (Fire risk, smoking ban in public buildings etc.)
Cherie, I'm sure these computers are one step ahead of us sometimes!
ReplyDelete