.
Here's another very unusual theme for a song.....in fact I bet this is the ONLY song on the subject.
It's the ......"Paper Bag Cooking Song"
Well it appears that in, or about, 1911, there was this idea about cooking food enclosed in a paper bag to preserve the flavour. A bit of web searching discovered a book in a library in California.

.
Around this period, it seems that any subject was fair game for the song writers, and this was no exception.
Here's just a few verses......
You’ve heard about the latest kind of cooking,
In little paper bags, it’s quite a craze.
My wife has got the fever and I swear I’ll have to leave her’
If she doesn’t stop her paper cooking ways.
It’s not the paper bags that I object to,
It’s her method that’s so very, very crude,
For the paper bags she uses are all made from daily news,
And the print comes off…and comes off on the food!
There’s a breach of promise case upon the mutton,
There’s a murder right across the pickled pork.
We can read about the Navy on the surface of the gravy,
While the spinach gives the latest news from Cork.
A motto on the fish says “Votes for Women”,
And a scandal on the veal attention begs,
On the bacon we are getting all the latest race-course betting,
With the names of all those running on the eggs!
.


That is a very unique song :-)
ReplyDeleteBut as work they cook my pannini in paper. Maybe things haven't changed so much...
I trust they don't use newspaper?
ReplyDeleteMind you, it is not so long ago that 'fish'n chips' was served up wrapped in newspapers!
I think it might be grease proof paper, I am not sure.
ReplyDeleteI used to love it when the fish and chips were wrapped up newspaper, you could often find interesting snippets if you were eating straight from the wrappings.
Stamped out by Elf 'n safety!
ReplyDeleteI don't remember ever hearing of anyone becoming ill from eating chips from a newspaper. And as you say they used clean bags on the inside.