Yesterday I was browsing through the BBC iPlayer and I noticed they had program categories for ‘Northern Ireland’, Scotland and Wales.
As “Chad” would have said “Wot no England?”
No, the BBC do not recognise England as a country.
So today is my “Stand up for England” day.
.

.
Old England ain’t a country what’s ruled by Gestapos,
By blokes dressed up in uniforms and goodness only knows.
You sees a copper now an’ then but if you ain’t on the twist,
They treats you matey an’ polite, there ain’t no mailed fist;
An’ I want to keep it just like that!
Yes, I want to keep it just like that!
This England’s full of freedom for blokes like me an’ you,
Make no mistake we treasure it an’ are fighting for it too.
I don’t allow nobody for to dictate fings to me,
Excepting p’raps the missus…still that’s ‘ow it ort to be;
An’ I mean to keep it just like that!
Yes, I mean to keep it just like that!
When the Queen signed the 1992 Maastricht Treaty, this country adopted the EU Regionalisation Plan. This abolished England's 48 counties and replaced them with 9 European regions, each with its own Regional Capital, who reports directly to Brussels, not to Westminster.
This effectively obliterates the country of England.
For example the County of Cornwall is replaced by the South West Region, which stretches from Lands End and includes Gloucestershire and Wiltshire; its regional capital is Exeter
After the EU abolishes our 48 counties your address will change from 4 High St, Taunton, Somerset, Great Britain, to 4 High St, Taunton, Area K, European Union.
.
.
Save our Counties.
The English summer has changed.
The cylinder lawnmower has disappeared.
The tartan picnic rug has been waterproofed
with sticky-back plastic and yet one
20th century item has remained constant,
…..the Panama hat.
This stylish headgear is more than a smart accessory,
It identifies an Englishman,
It is a statement of patriotic standing.
It is an old friend reborn with the arrival of the high sun,
It is the raffish stamp of the civilised Englishman.
.
.
My “stamp of a civilised Englishman”.
"Wot, no cylinder lawnmowers?
.

.
Cylinder lawnmowers are still alive and well in Filey, Yorkshire and that's because Stan Hardwick has 365 different mowers to try out.
The retired greenkeeper is fascinated by the machines and owns every type imaginable. Some date back to the mid-19th century.
With the grudging consent of his wife Margaret, 68, Mr Hardwick keeps his favourite examples in the conservatory and the front room for visitors to admire. The rest are stored in a huge two-storey shed at the bottom of the back garden.
Mr Hardwick, 69, who has been dubbed the Lawn Ranger, said: 'Some of my mates think I'm mad, but pals I know from greenkeeping are quite interested.
There.......I feel better now!

Thank you for posting the video. I thoroughly enjoyed it. It's about time people spoke out. Everything else about your post was great.
ReplyDeleteWas wondering the other day why our boys are fighting to stop terrorism, when we let the b***** terrorists go free!
It is funny you should post this today. Last weekend I bought a book called England my England which has lots of lovely passages and poems about England
ReplyDeleteHi Valerie,
ReplyDeleteI believe it's all to do with their civil liberty! This gov. must have signed up to some human rights legislation....my question is are terrorists part of the human race?
Cherie, I can't remember what triggered it off this morning!
Sometimes I read a bit in the papers that gets the 'old blood pressure' up, and I just go for it.
I find my spontaneous bits are sometimes better than the long thought out posts.
Let's all do more posts for England.....(that is if your not Welsh or etc. etc.)
No... but the people they murder were!
ReplyDeleteI also have fond memories from my school choir days. One of the very first songs I sang was There Will Always be an England. Different words to the ones you have posted though. It was very rousing and stirred the soul.
ReplyDeleteSorry,
ReplyDeleteI should have pointed out that those words are not from 'There will always be an England'. I didn't have the front cover to 'I want to keep it just like that'
Well spotted.
Yeah but, yeah but, yeah but:
ReplyDeleteViewed from the other side, non-English take all this to mean that the BBC thinks it IS there for England and is making a concession to the other nations by giving them "their own little programme categories" thereby treating them like regions. When there's a south west region and a north east region etc, it feels to them like they are being told they are just a region.
They go "Let's hear from our Scotland/north of England correspondent" but you never hear theme say "Let's hear from our England/ south of England correspondent".
And if you notice, they call it "south west/ north east" etc and they should really be saying "south west ENGLAND" and "north east ENGLAND" or else they might as well be referring to south west BRITAIN and north east BRITAIN. They're supposed to be the BBBBB BC but anyone would think they were the EBC.
So definitely they should be referring to England to make it clear thatEngland is a part of Britain.
Extrapolating from that, they ought to have north/mid/south etc Scotland categories and north/south/mid Wales categories etc etc etc.
They recognise it OK as a country but sometimes they think that country is the whole of Britain.
ReplyDeleteI agree about the counties but has not not gone by the by now? I used to have relatives in Humberside but now they put East Yorks on their address. Or are they just refusing to comply?
"...they should really be saying "south west ENGLAND" and "north east ENGLAND"..."
ReplyDeleteExactly right, Foody.
You must be Radio 4 listener, because that is where I hear most of regional inaccuracies.
Britain is a Nation, not a country?
Is that right?
With the counties it'a bit different.
The PO just ignore whatever you write, they just look at the postcode. Things like Humberside and Merseyside are just administrative zones. People do not really like being told that their County has disappeared.
I don't know if it's a nation or a country. I seem to use the two terms willy-nilly.
ReplyDeleteI do listen to Radio 4 on the way to work and back and I follow the Archers (Me-eh-eh-eh-eh-eh!!!)
Foody, I shall investigate the two terms...I believe there is a difference.
ReplyDelete