Saturday, 8 August 2009

Weekend Walk

.
.
Last week I posted up some pictures taken looking across Cock Marsh towards Winter Hill and Quarry Woods.
Deb enquired about the views from the top.....so here are a few. (click to enlarge)

The one above is taken with the woods behind me with the path heading back to Bourne End.
This next one is looking down to the old Ferry lane and the site of the old Ferry.
.
.
This next photo below is looking across Cock Marsh to the sailing club on the river and Bourne End over to the right.
On the 'marsh' (which is actually now a meadow) you can pick out a mound. These are Bronze Age burial mounds dating back to between 1500 - 600 BC. After heavy rain it is still possible to find flint arrowheads washed out of the earth of the mounds.
.
.
This part of the Thames was of course featured in "Three Men in a Boat" by Jerome K. Jerome.

"We got up tolerably early on the Monday morning at Marlow.....did our marketing after breakfast, and re-victualled the boat for three days...."
"There is lovely country round about it (Marlow) too, if, after boating you are fond of a walk, while the river itself is at its best here. Down to Cookham, past the Quarry Woods and the meadows, is a lovely reach. Dear old Quarry Woods! With your narrow, climbing paths, and winding glades, how scented to this hour you seem with memories of sunny summer days!
How haunted are your shadowy vistas with the ghosts of laughing faces!
How from your whispering leaves there softly fall the voices of long ago!"

Turning back now and looking upstream towards Marlow.
.
.
And a similar view to Marlow, further along the path.
.
.
And what have we here?
A beautiful Parasol mushroom. These are edible and I have enjoyed them several times...a lovely nutty flavour. But as there were only two here today, I let them be.
.
.

5 comments:

  1. What wonderful scenery, it looks a very enjoyable place to be walking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thames Valley Cherie, the whole walk along this stretch of river is really worth a go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely gorgeous. Thank you for taking the time to get the pictures for me. I wish I could be there and just sit a spell.

    My goodness, HUGE mushrooms!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Arrowheads? It never occurred to me that anyone besides American Indians made arrowheads. I guess I thought Robin Hood bought his at a store or something. Thank you for sharing the lovely hike.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like to take a long(ish) walk every week Deb. Sorry it is not called Summer Hill, I don't know how it got it's name, and as for the mushrooms.. you can only just manage to eat one at a sitting. It's an absolute filler!
    Hi Jan,
    All around here in the chalk hills, you can find flints. When they are broken they leave very sharp edges. Ideal for early 'man' to use as spears and the heads on arrows.

    ReplyDelete